Ford Forums banner

Brakes grab and car Shimmies when A/C is on??

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  GaryWS 
#1 ·
2008 Mercury Mariner, apx 134,000 miles. Generally runs smooth. Several months ago, the brakes started grabbing, sometimes strongly, sometimes not at all. Further, sometimes I hear a rubbing sound when moving and sometimes the wheels shimmy at over 40mph or so. But this happens only occasionally, and I realized recently that it happens only when it's very hot out and I've been running the A/C for at least 15 minutes or so. When I turn it off, after 15-20 minutes, everything goes back to normal. Weird! Before I realized the AC was involved, I'd brought it in twice. They replaced the right front caliper, gave a wheel alignment, and checked the bearings, etc and could not find any problems (except that the caliper needed replacement, but that did not solve the problem).

It's a big mystery. When at idle the AC seems to work normally, although I did notice that it recycles pretty quickly.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I believe the 2008 with the 3.0L - my car - has EPAS. But the problem seems to be more with grabbing brakes, sometimes load and severe, and shimmying than a steering issue. Maybe the shimmying is related to the steering but the big mystery is that in cooler weather - no AC on - car rides smooth and straight.

#6 ·
Thanks. More the brakes. I'm not a mechanic, but I discussed this several times with my mechanic and had brought it in twice (there had been a stability control sensor failure that caused all kinds of problems a few months prior so I suspected that). But he checked the brake system, sensors, bearings. He did replace a caliper and performed a wheel alignment but said he found no other issues but I don't know how deep he went. That's why it's a little frustrating in that there is definitely a big issue but it's intermittent and cannot be easily detected if it's not happening at the moment. But thanks all for your tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.