Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dba cross/drilled slotted rotors front & back on my AU XR8 for about 2 months. The front have know begun to pulsate during braking. Does anyone know what I can do?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Machine rotor.Have heard it's better to us old/used good pads on new rotor and vice versa to bed them in? Check out book ''Taming WRX'', on brake's.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
jcondo- I am thinking about getting the same brakes fitted to my Au XR8. Did you retain the original callipers? Would love to know how you get on with your pulsating problem and what the cause is/was.
Anyone else have any experience with these brakes or can recommend something different?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Although I havnt used them, ive heard that a common problem with the Cross Drilled DBA Rotors is that they develop cracks between the holes. So if it was my money get just the slotted ones, or go the hole-hog and get the Herrod brake package.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Cross drilled rotors will always give you a degree of feedback through the steering wheel as they are drill and slotted. Provide that this is not overly severe its not a problem. On motorcycles on heavy applications they can even be heard as the rotors cut the bads to keep them in perfect braking performance.

As far as the cracking around the drill holes according to DBA this is only possible under extreme usage when the brakes are very cold and fitted with full metal pads.

The other issue of slotted rotors, yes they are okay but, they do nothing to release the brake gases that build up between the pads and the rotors under heavy brake loads. Now on a multi piston brake caliper it's not to bad but, on a large single piston caliper you will get some pad distoration and lose some pad surface contact and thus reduce the braking performance.

I hope this helps you out.

Peter.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

Yeah those cross drilled DBA's do tend to develope cracks around the drill holes.

Someone I know with a Turbo Excel with a chiptorque performance chip (I can hear the laughter) put on a set of cross drilled. He took it out to Eastern creek, and it only made 2 laps, before they cracked.
He now uses DBA slotted, and gets a bit more usage.

:)
Kelli S

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Sorry, im not sure what the cost of the Herrod package is. But it is pretty extensive.

EA - EL & AU FORDS
* 330mm SLOTTED FRONT ROTORS
* LARGE 2 SPOT CALIPERS
* SPORTS FRONT PADS
* NEW STUB AXLES
* HI PERFORMANCE FRONT BRAKE HOSES
* HI PERFORMANCE BRAKE FLUID
* 299mm SLOTTED REAR ROTORS
So id say 4 figures isnt out of the question, heres their website.
http://www.xrclub.com.au/herrod.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had DBA "Sports" X-drilled + slotted on my EB2XR8 for 5yrs. Before that I went thru 3x sets of Std rotors so I'm pretty hard on them, they work OK, but do not use STD/XR/GT/Police pads. I use Bendix Metal King (I hear groans) but look...no cracks. I would go Cebco/Herrod if you can afford it though,($4800 approx but you need 17" wheels minimum)For you guys with EF/EL loose the dust sheild as it blocks airflow (the Bendix pads are not as dusty as XR/GT) That might help the rotors to stop warping because of excess heat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoops...Erratus Dribblus Twatus...Bendix Road King are now known as "Ultimates", sorry. That's how long they've been on the front of mine.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Thanks for your help everyone! You have sent me in the right direction and helped save me some money at the same time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
This my first effort on this Bulletin Board.
I am encouraged by all you XR people. Here it is a bit like WRX and HSV domination of the street scene.
We have had DBA slotted rotors fitted front with the Bendix Ultimate pads front and rear. Altough this has improved stopping we am getting strange little "crunchy" noise when turning on lock at low speed under light brakes - such into a driveway or parking. Has anyone an opinion / suggestion.

Also, on the subject of suspension - we had an EB XR6 before our present EL2 XR6.
On the EB we fitted low Kings with Konis and full nolathane bushes - car was always great round bends - BUT - it rode like a bill-cart.
On the EL we have come up with a good combo which offers firm but okay ride with vastly improved handling over standard - Front: full Pedders nolathane, Koni gas set soft & factory springs (note Konis allow ride height reduction whilst maintaining legal bump-stop and retention of your teeth fillings). On the rear we run Pedders big-bore sports shocks & Pedders sprigs - lowered but still okay for steep driveways - standard Ford bushings except on Watts linkage upper. Wheels are Simmons 16 inch, 7.5 inch wide with 225 Falken 502. For what it is worth, we found Konis far too harsh in the rear. Hope this has helped anyone looking to replace suspension. Car pretty standard apart from above plus aftermarket Kenwood stereo etc.
Regards,
Gaz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
G'day Gaz.

Thanks for the suspension info! I'm about a month away from D-Day with mine, so you're input is timed to perfection. Interesting you should say that the Koni's ride pretty harshly at the rear end. I'm considering Koni's all round, but if you're setup provides the goods, then it might save me some $$ :) I'll look into it all..

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry for that - i hit the enter instead of the tab.
What i meant to say was that I notice some of you are talking about the dba rotors cracking. If you look at their web site they do admit that some rotors do crack but only after using them for racing (which they are not designed for)
I've run Bendix pads on my previous cars and they produce far less dust than the ford ones (the ford ones remind me a lot of Ferodo)

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
HI GUYS
I HAVE HAD DBA DRILLED/ SLOTTED ROTORS ON MY ED XR6 FOR 21/2 YRS KNOW, IT WAS HARD TO FIND A GOOD PAD TO START WITH BUT THEN I GOT ONTO BENDEX METAL KINGS. DBA DONT RECOMEND THAT YOU USE METAL PADS WITH THEIR DRILLED/SLOTTED ROTORS, BUT THE METAL KINGS WORKED A TREAT. US MEXICAN XR CLUB MEMBERS HAD A DAY AT CALDER WITH THE JOHN BOWE DRIVING INSTITUTE AND MY BRAKES HELD ON & ON. ONE OF THE BLOKS RAN DRILLED & SLOTED WITH BENDEX ULTIMATES HE KNOW HAS CRACKS. TWO BUGGERED ROTORS.
AS FOR THE HERROD BRAKES, TWO MEMBERS HAVE THEM ON THEIR AU'S AND THEY LOST THEIR BRAKES ALLTOGETHER.

CHEERS
KERRY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an AU Falcon S with cross drilled DBA rotors .. within 3-4 weeks I started to get the wibble wobble on the front rotors .. I got them machined and again in about 3 weeks same thing ... I ended ditching the Bendix Ultimate pads for the Bendix Premium pads and I have not had a problem since .. the ultimate pads are great but they ripped the rotors to bits .. So I would suggest toning it donw on the pads ... Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem with the rotor on the AU & AUII is that they are a "hat" type of rotor. When braking occures, heat is generated. With the EA - EL the heat would pass through the hub, wheel bearings stub ..etc. Now if there is any debris (rust) that is on the serface that contacts the disc and the hub the heat can not escape. So this leads to excessive heat and distortion of the rotor causing a pulsating feeling in the pedal !!!! Clean BOTH surfaces b4 u fit any rotors to this type of brake set up.
DBA Slotted / cross drilled are for looks and were NEVER designed for the race track !!!
Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts