Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noted (in one case particularly when a wombat and my Pursuit tried to share the same piece of road) that the fixed calipers of the Brembo brakes are susceptable to pad knock off. This is seen as a dropping of the brake pedal height during driving and in some cases can result in over 80mm of ADDITIONAL pedal travel from the normal position.

The driver therefore will have to stroke the pedal 80mm before getting any brakes whatsoever.

Anyhow, much to Ford's credit extensive testing was done on my car and a P build car. I am unaware of the final conclusions and results, however if your vehicle is also fitted with a slightly sick master cylinder (as mine was from new, and others seem to also have experienced) the pedal stroke can be enough to result in pedal reaching carpet before pads reach discs (get what I mean :wnc: :doh: ).

Anyhow, I don't want to pre-empt FPV and Ford's actions, but I have to say something to anyone with these brakes for your safety.

You WILL experience this level of pad knock off on rougher roads, under sweeping corners, and within the speed limit. You do not have to be racing the car. You will suffer cumulative pad knock off even with cruise control set.

FPV have told me I can pump the brake pedal with my left foot regularly to ensure I keep reasonable pedal height. However, this of course means having to regularly reset cruise control and so on.

My understanding is that FPV will soon be placing a warning in the owners manual to make people aware of this level of pad knock off. However, for those of you with cars in your possession already I implore you to make yourself familiar with the pad knock off and what it means in the event of an emergency stop being required. You must also make sure anyone driving the car is made aware of this.

You have been told.

If you are buying one of these cars, I seriously suggest you question whether you need the Brembo stopping power (over the Premium Brakes) at the cost of this amount of pedal knock off. I know what my choice would be had I known.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Although my car mightn't have done the Klms like yours,i have nothing but admiration for these Brembo brakes they certainly do the job when required to do so.

I don't know what you have done maybe run over a black cat,but i'm always reading the problems that you seem to have.
Cheers John

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you do not see this pad knock off? If so, that's contrary to what FPV have been telling me.

·
FFing Festive
597 Posts
Re: Re: Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k?

Aussie Pete said:
Are you saying you do not see this pad knock off? If so, that's contrary to what FPV have been telling me.
Yeah, let's here from a few more GT-P owners on this. There's enough Brembo equipped vehicles around now to get a reasonable consensus on quality.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only issues that I have with the $6k tag on the Brembos is that they only cost Ford about an incremental $700 over the cost of the Premium Brake set up.

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Geez you have had a lot of car problems AP......
I would be getting a bit pissed off by now.

My GT-P has had no, zero, nada, nicht problems with anything. (As opposed to my previous AU2 which was the opposite)
18,500 km and no brake probs, no rattle, no oil usage (other than when it was new), very good fuel consumption (12-14l/100km), great tyre wear even with the visits to Benaraby and Willowbank/QLD Raceway.
Always run on Ultimate or Optimax, Mobile Oil (as per book) Nitrogen in tyres, warmed up in morning for 2 min before launching and absolutely bog stock standard everything.

I LURVE my GT-P

OK I lied about the problems, one day the sunglass holder wouldn't open but i think that was because the sunnys were stuck in wrongly.

·
708 Posts

RICHO said:
The only issues that I have with the $6k tag on the Brembos is that they only cost Ford about an incremental $700 over the cost of the Premium Brake set up.
I know FPV are in the buisness of making money but if this correct it is truly disgracfull that they can charge this sort of markup for these brakes and yet still send vehicles out the door which have faults be it in there design or they way they have been assembled. As for AP's particular car all he can really do is keep taking it back to the dealer and hope it gets rectifed on his forth, fifth or sixth visit. :wtf:

I think the TE50 has the same pbr brakes as std on the GT, i may be wrong but anyway i find that their fine even after several highspeed braking stops, so around town their great. :s6:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi AP,

You sure have been lumbered with a dog of an FPV, l cant believe all the problems you have seen. l hope FPV are sincere about sorting it all out for you.

We have only had our GT for 10 days but l havent noticed any pad knock off, the Brembo's have been exceptional in my opinion. l will pay closer attention to it now having read your post but so far l havent noticed anything. In fact the car has been perfect to date, not even a rattle. Hope it stays this way!

Cheers

·
Registered
674 Posts

flappist said:
Geez you have had a lot of car problems AP......
I would be getting a bit pissed off by now.

My GT-P has had no, zero, nada, nicht problems with anything. (As opposed to my previous AU2 which was the opposite)
18,500 km and no brake probs, no rattle, no oil usage (other than when it was new), very good fuel consumption (12-14l/100km), great tyre wear even with the visits to Benaraby and Willowbank/QLD Raceway.
Always run on Ultimate or Optimax, Mobile Oil (as per book) Nitrogen in tyres, warmed up in morning for 2 min before launching and absolutely bog stock standard everything.

I LURVE my GT-P

OK I lied about the problems, one day the sunglass holder wouldn't open but i think that was because the sunnys were stuck in wrongly.
Yeah, Pete, After all it's only a frigging work ute!...What ya whinging about?....
Hang on...Sunglass holder?... Hmmmmm, WTF's that?:doh:

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k?

Charliewool said:
Yeah, Pete, After all it's only a frigging work ute!...What ya whinging about?....
Hang on...Sunglass holder?... Hmmmmm, WTF's that?:doh:
Thats what the extra 10 grand you pay for a GT-P is REALLY for.
All these split climate control gizmos, brembos, seats, mags, momo wheel, free stripes etc are only there as padding.

The sunglass holder in the roof behind the map lamps is the REAL reason I bought the BEAST. Roof mounted sunny holder is unlimate in class and motoring chique.
The sunny holder is only available on the high end sport tourers such as Merc E55 AMG or BMW M5 and even the Hyundai Tiburon.

I was nearly going to take the BEAST to the dump and leave it there the day the sunny holder jammed. I was so distressed I nearly bought a Holden.
Luckily a friend found me wandering aimlessly on the beach and administered medicinal spirit (famous aussie medicinal spirit) mixed with some black sticky sweet bubbly thinners and I recovered instantly.

:disco:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Simple Terms AP... NO

With a decent set of pads, and spare set for racing etc, should be enough for daily drivers!

6 grand is a starting point for blower of turbo kit

Might as well buy a can of red paint!

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
The other problem with these brakes is they're not a one-off cost. If you plan to own the car a long time and do a few kays, you'll be buying those brembo spec pads and rotors again and again. I bet they're not cheap either!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Well I have to comment on a few things here...well maybe just one, but I am sure I will find more as I read the thread over.

RICHO said:
I can safely say that brembos while they are good can command that price. You want a real set of brakes that wont fade you will pay more than what you are getting charged for just to have the Brembo Badge.

noddy said:
I know FPV are in the buisness of making money but if this correct it is truly disgracfull that they can charge this sort of markup for these brakes and yet still send vehicles out the door which have faults be it in there design or they way they have been assembled. As for AP's particular car all he can really do is keep taking it back to the dealer and hope it gets rectifed on his forth, fifth or sixth visit.
The faults are not FPV by nature. These brakes are manufactured and shipped to FPV. Mind you that FPV has had some play in this in regards to getting the specs to Brembo to manufacture, but it is not FPV that is manufacturing them. They are as Pete says trying to rectify this situation.

The markup can be justified due to cost of production. There is not that large of a margin that they are making on the purchaser of the brembo brakes. Understand this is coming from a person that deals with aftermarket parts and supplies. The markup that is only 700AUD or about 400USD over the PBR is not that large. The cost to get these produced then shipped then the manhours to put on they have to make up the costs somewhere. PBR, whilst a cheaper brand is still not that cheap, but they do supply the Ford line up of cars here in the US and over there in AU.

Anyhow getting off on a tangent there. The point is that they may be marking it up a whole 700 over premium package, but in the long run they are not making that much off the initial purchase. They are however as PD has stated making their cool $ off the replacement parts. Sec Brembo pads are not cheap, well not for the general public and non retailers that is.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
They are awesome brakes there is little doubt. Are they that much better than the premiums? Subjectively I'd say not.
Having said that, if the information I've been given is correct the rotors will have considerably more life than the AU premium ones and that represents a lot of money saved.
Pads are expensive but as we've discussed before there are other sources for the pads besides Ford that don't want to charge a gorilla a 2 wheel set.
Same applies to rotors.
I haven't experienced any pad knock off yet but I will watch with interest as things progress.

Cheers
Russ

·
708 Posts

LunaticSVT said:
Well I have to comment on a few things here...well maybe just one, but I am sure I will find more as I read the thread over.

I can safely say that brembos while they are good can command that price. You want a real set of brakes that wont fade you will pay more than what you are getting charged for just to have the Brembo Badge.

The faults are not FPV by nature. These brakes are manufactured and shipped to FPV. Mind you that FPV has had some play in this in regards to getting the specs to Brembo to manufacture, but it is not FPV that is manufacturing them. They are as Pete says trying to rectify this situation.

The markup can be justified due to cost of production. There is not that large of a margin that they are making on the purchaser of the brembo brakes. Understand this is coming from a person that deals with aftermarket parts and supplies. The markup that is only 700AUD or about 400USD over the PBR is not that large. The cost to get these produced then shipped then the manhours to put on they have to make up the costs somewhere. PBR, whilst a cheaper brand is still not that cheap, but they do supply the Ford line up of cars here in the US and over there in AU.

Anyhow getting off on a tangent there. The point is that they may be marking it up a whole 700 over premium package, but in the long run they are not making that much off the initial purchase. They are however as PD has stated making their cool $ off the replacement parts. Sec Brembo pads are not cheap, well not for the general public and non retailers that is.
I could have typed that last post of mine a touch more coherently after reading it again. :doh: Thou i doubt this one will be much better. :fraz: The point i was trying to get accross was that the faults "by design or by the way they are assembled" are concerning FPV vehicles in general.
Particularly AP's ute.

IF Fpv are selling the Brembo brake package with a tag of 6grand and it is costing them approx $700 for the parts only over the std pbr setup than i think it's a bit rich. I am only basing this on Richo's post so it is purely speculation.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Getting back to the thread.I think there better brakes out there, AP racing are as good if not better because you can get all different pads for them, and then there is the price of the Brembos pads they are about $1295 Front and even more for the back so I think we could do better.

·
Registered
347 Posts

flappist said:
Yep, me too.

Really urked me when the sunny's got jammed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
PS - Zero oil usage in 6000 klms....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts