Ford Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
AP -
I'm surprised you still have faith in what the FPV engineers say after what you've been through....

Anyway, getting back to end float.
The axle is only held in by the outer flange bearing, not the inner bearing. The inner bearing is actually the bearing which holds the whole crownwheel assy in place, it just supports the axle, it doesn't hold it in the diff housing.

The outer flange bearing must not only hold the axle in the diff housing, but it also supports the weight of the car.
Axles quite often have more float than they should and IME experience will cause piston knock off with certain callipers.

I gather the Brembos aren't floating?
If this is the case, even a small amount of end float will have give you pad knock off, it doesn't take much.

Just jack the rear end up and yank the wheel in and out, even with the calliper still bolted up it will move if there is a problem.

I'm not saying this is the problem, but from the info you've given and the fact that the sedans don't have the problem, it's a good sign.

Rick.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't think the FPV Engineers have a trust issue. Like I said, after the realisation came that it was a real problem FPV/Ford worked hard and solved the problem. It was that intial fight which made the experience bitter.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
AP -
Perhaps, but the fix you received could also be a product of beancounters, and not really a proper solution at all, more like a big band-aid.....

Anyway, so long as you're now satisfied.

Rick.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't disagree.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
:edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit:

Well, it seems that Ford deserve even more credit for takingt he common sense approach to this problem. The fix is in production and the current vehicles in the field will be the subject of a VOLUNTARY RECALL. That means all affected vehicles will be fixed shortly.

Details of the recall will of course be posted on the DOTARs website and all owners will assumedly be contacted by Ford/FPV using normal recall practices.

Please send your cheque to AP.......... :wnc: :angel:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well done Aussie Pete,you deserve a pat on the back.
Cheers John

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Good work Petey Boy.. All your hard work & lobbying may have saved yous or somebody elses life.

Top marks mate :hy:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice work AP - they should call it the "AP Caliper Spring" ;)

I would have thought a better solution would have been a redesign of the way the disk / caliper is mounted, although I can imaging the cost of such an exercise.

Still, if it results in excessive pad / rear disk wear, it means the owner bears the cost.

Hopefully, the redesign approach will be investigated further for the next model.

·
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS
421 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
:edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit:

Well, it seems that Ford deserve even more credit for takingt he common sense approach to this problem. The fix is in production and the current vehicles in the field will be the subject of a VOLUNTARY RECALL. That means all affected vehicles will be fixed shortly.

Details of the recall will of course be posted on the DOTARs website and all owners will assumedly be contacted by Ford/FPV using normal recall practices.

Please send your cheque to AP.......... :wnc: :angel:
OK enough gold stars here whats the next thing on the list pete ??
I remember seeing a whole page of items at your place that need addressing on these FPV models.

We going to start with the springs or paint matching ??

(Pete sometimes I'm sure you wish you had keeped your venom XR8)

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was kinda offered a retrofit of the Performance Brakes a while back but reading up on them and the squeal etc I think I made the right choice waiting out on the Brembos.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
21 Participants
sniper545
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing