Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snapped the Watt's link bolt off flush with the rear end housing. It happened in a curve and made for an exciting ride! It now looks like I will have to pull the rear end out, drill the bolt and use an extractor. I have also welded nuts on broken bolts to remove them. Or, does anybody have any better suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right! As I grow older it gets frustrating to have so many tasks to do and not be able to keep up with them. I'm even having second thoughts about pulling the rear end, but fortunately I have Jake around to do the heavy lifting. The car is a very nice '05 CV hard to find Sport. I hate to junk it.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
I've got to do things right away and not let them build up if avoidable. Look on the bright side , your son grafting away and you passing on your wisdom gained from many years of working on cars . I'm sure he'll benefit and appreciate the time in later years , you also . Enjoy some more time working together Gary whilst you can and the satisfaction of a job completed .

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
Brute force and ignorance? I have the tools for the brute force, ignorance came naturally.

How rusted is it? Welding a bolt may be the best avenue providing you're better than me. The heat may also help free up the corrosion. Last person I saw do this, had a spray bottle they cooled the bolt with once everything was down to ambient, they heated the female portion (it was on a turbine casing). Being it's on the differential, you might not want to go with the water trick... turbine casings are a lot thicker and durable than a differential.

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's torqued to 150 lbs/ft, but a So Cal Car with no rust. When I get back from Mexico I plan on having my son pull the rear end (can't get to the stud with in in the car). Then I will drill the stud to about the same dia as the largest grade 8 or M 10 nut I can get on it, then weld the nut to the inner dia drilled in the stud. I did this once upon a time to a jet engine (of all things!) mount and it worked well! I'll keep everybody up to date, but it will be a while before I get to it. Thanks for all the advice guys!

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Forget about repairing cars and relax on the beach .No doubt you have been warned about working on cars by your better half and family . Take care , the car can wait

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Jim, I have been told to take it easier and I no longer attack chores with the unbridled enthusiasm l used to when younger. But, like many of you, our shop is a familiar refuge. It doesn't matter what I do there, it's just a relaxing place to be and a place to spend time with my son. We've had conversations in the shop and in some of the most remote places in Baja that probably would not have occurred otherwise. So, I still go, I just go slower.

Thanks guys. Although we have never met, I count you all among my best friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts