Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, we have found a way to electronically make the BTR Autos shift the same as having the replacement S5 solenoid put in.

The Electronic way works in the same manner as the replacement solenoid in that it increases the line pressure within the gearbox.

As there has been a lot of interest in this topic, and a few of us have installed the mod, and had no problems, So i have included a shortcut to access the modification details/

I can arrange to pre-assemble the electronic units to make the mod easier for non technical people, and supply them, along with fitting instructions, in either a switched or non switched version.

If anyone wants more information, please email me.

Previous discussions can be found here:

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37102&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Modification Details are on my website....

Regards
9psi EB

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
Continuation of the previous thread:

gravelrash said:
just connected to pin 57 and when i flick the swith it hunts at idle. i also noticed that pinout 58 is the vehicle speed sensor wire, wouldnt you need a signal from the that wire to tell the s5 when to change gears.
Mine does the exact thing.. hunts at idle. No hard-shifts. Must be a different pin for the EFs (???)
What have you noticed GravelRash?

edit: i don't think the EF combo of 81 and 57 are correct... Help!!

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
Guys with EF's attempting this mod... I suggest you wait a day or two as the correct pin-outs will be known
=)

ChuBBz

·
Dreamer
670 Posts
What is the colour of Pin 57 in the EA/D cars with the integrated trans? and what does it connect to, whats its function?

Pin 81 in the EF is Green in colour and connects to one of the solenoids, pin 57 is black & blue and connects to the knock sensor.

If someone can tell me what it is in the ED then i will be able to find it in the gregory EF manual, then we can chirp happily ever after...

:edit: :edit: :edit:

From doing a little research from the other thread, and looking at the EL Auto wiring diagram, and relaying that information onto the EF wiring diagram i have noted that the Gregorys manual is SHITHOUSE! I have looked at 3 different wiring diagrams, all of them show the same information, same pins etc etc, but they all have different colours (two diagrams have pin numbers, one does not, so i cannot be sure if the diagrams are all in the same order)

With this information i have conclued that Pin 81 is to be run in parallel with Pin 37 (this is using the 20ohm resistor). Pin 37 is to have the 1 ohm resistor run in series.

If however you do try these pins and your car melts down into a nice big blob, well tough shit, hehe I cannot confirm these are the correct pins, but from a little look and see this is what i have come up with. Try at will :hehe2:

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
"the Dick" lmao

fair enough champ - i aint in no rush either (waiting on 9psi EB for further directions)..
Gotta have the mod for the heathcote event! =P

·
Registered
346 Posts
Chubbz, i went used pin 81 and pin 71. no hunting and the car definately shifts firmer and drives perfectly. pin 71 is red in colour and 81 is light green. i found it didnt work at first but i then removed the switch and works perfectly. i dunno if i had the switch wired up correctly or not.let me know how you get on mate. *this must nearly be a ford forums first, the same mods being done to cars all over australia over the same weekend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
not on an ef its not

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
i also tried the pin 81/71 combo - Jamie (9psi eb) advised me to do so...

No effect on my car ...

What i don't understand is how i got 2 chirpies out of the initial 81/57 combo before it quickly relearnt itself (???) maybe it was just coincidence (like oil on the ground or something stupid like that lol)

p.s Yes definately a FF first!! its pretty interesting eh!

DAMN STUBBORN EF's

·
Registered
346 Posts
yeah well funny thing. mine didnt start working stright away either. the more i drove it the better it got. i was also thinking of changing to another ohms value resistor to shift a bit more harder, but i will have to fit a cooler first before i do that.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
this is very interesting to watch
there are probably about 10 other ppl waitin to see the actual result! :D

·
Dreamer
670 Posts
I have the EF gregories manual infront of me right now, pin 71 is a Purge Solenoid, i will scan it if you dont believe me...

Looking on the diagram it connets with the ISC Solenoid, Inlet Manifold Valve Solenoid, then goes and connects with the Injectors.

:edit: :edit:

Here is the ECU wiring diagram, the file is 122kb You can quite clearly see that pin 71 does in fact run to the Purge Solenoid, until further notice from the people telling you to connect such n such to here, there and everywhere, i'd remove your connections as you dont wont to stuff the ECU...

ECU diagram

·
Registered
346 Posts
Chubbz, i just sent you an email

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
lol @ EFFalcon

Good work guys! South you have proven yourself.. lol... i wanna see what Jamie has to say before i go and put my ecu thru a brick wall. hehe

Thanks heaps for that email gravelrash :)

We'll get thru this guys.. don't worry ! :p

·
XR Driver
184 Posts
hey send me an email also but i dont think ill have the balls to do this

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
What problems could occur from this? Why is everyone too scared to do this? Now I am as well!

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys,

I have looked at the various scans of the EF I6 Wiring diagrams (thanks Muzza / South)

The ECU pin that connects to the S5 solenoid is 81.

The switched +12v can be found on pin 71 or 37,
Yes 71 goes to the purge solenoid, but it is the 12v supply for it, therefore has no effect on the purge solenoid.

Gravelrash is on the ball :)

Therefore

EF I6 Step by Step

1) Disconnect the Batt.
2) Remove the ECU
3) Cut the wire to pin 81
4) Insert 1 ohm resistor effectively to "join" the cut wire.
5) On the ECU side of the 1 ohm, connect to the 20 / 22 ohm
6) Connect other end of 20 / 22 ohm to red wire that goes to pin 71 or 37
7) Reinstall ECU
8) Connect battery
9) Drive and see how the shifts go

Another bit of advise.
Follow the above instructions, DO not try the switched version until you have the basic mod working, then you can make the required changes to convert to switched version. Otherwise it is too hard to try help you guys out with any problems that may lie within the switching wiring if i can t see exactly what has been done.

Chubbz, you willing to give it a go and let me know how you get on?

9psi EB

Copy of the scans are at:

http://www.pentagon-its.com/pics/ef1.jpg

http://www.pentagon-its.com/pics/ef2.jpg

I have highlighted the correct wires.

If anyone still has problems in getting it going, someone in Perth bring me an EF i6 and I will do the mod and see what the story is....

Mines been going well for the past few days, had a slight bit of rain tonight, so the back end was creeping around a bit between gears at around 1/4 thrott....

1 - 20 of 228 Posts