Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks,

Who knows what about BTR transmission mods for big hp/torque?
I realise the V8 gearbox is much tougher than the I6 gearbox and that the Maserati twin turbo V8 uses basically the same gearbox. Has anyone had any experience with building them extra tough(ie 700lb/ft 600hp tough)
Has anyone disassembled the BTR ECU code?

Thanks,

Pete.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bloody hell...must have asked a hard one.

Ok what have any of you guys done to your BTR auto's?

Pete.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
XR9UTE said:
Bloody hell...must have asked a hard one.

Ok what have any of you guys done to your BTR auto's?

Pete.
Given them the flick? Or not ordered one in the first place! :s5 :s6:

Oh save me........ :p :dead:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aussie Pete said:

Given them the flick? Or not ordered one in the first place! :s5 :s6:

Oh save me........ :p :dead:
Thanks for your enormously helpful info!

Pete.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I seem to remember an aftermarket controller avaiable a few years ago but I can't find the add at the moment. Apart from that I think it is a case of maybe fiddle with the convertor and putup with it. I wonder if the V8 internals would fit and be worth fitting into a 6 cyl trans. Also can you fit a dipstick to the BTR in an AU2?

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
I haven't heard of them being built up to handle that sort of power, most go the the older 3 speed autos like the C4. A good rebuild with better bands and modified valve body and bigger cooler will up the capacity to around 260-300kw according to the mechanics that just did mine.

·
1 bad 302
963 Posts
Pete,is leon's manual or auto?

Can't find the original article.

With his output,should be interesting. Next issue of Perth Street Car supposed to have all the details.

Jon

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
XR9UTE

Is this for you Pete? What about the AOD you're running? Some of the Mustang shops in US can build them up to be very strong.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to know myself since it cost around $2700 for a full recon stocky.
I shudder to think what a performance one would cost, besides isn't the US AOD a better trans than the BTR and less expensive to modify?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Just to be a little helpful, I remember a company called ChipTorque doing a series of mods for these gearboxes including ESS type controllers. Give them a call and ask for Lachlan (he is the guru for most things there). They are on the Gold Coast.

·
Veteran revhead
413 Posts
I'm sure a decent transmission rebuilder could give you a price on a performance rebuild for an LE45. If not, they could point you in the direction of people/companies that do.

Yes, the Maserati used the same slush box, I was gonna try and get one of those for my Fairmont when I stroked it. Alas, the stroker never happened and the car had too many k's on it to start screwing around with electronics and things.

By the way, when your STOCK LE45 starts doing second gearies (chirping into second) then you know it's on its way out. Mine started doing that (really savagely), sometimes even under half throttle, and it would go into "limp home" mode and drop out a couple of gears (usually first and fourth).

That said, I found the LE45 to be a superb transmission, a lot better than the shite 4L60E that I have in my VT now.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Seems to be a few people from Perth on this thread, was wondering if you guys know of the Blown El XR8 plates "Blown XR8", I saw it at Narrogin (rev heads) last weekend and cruising Freo sometimes, was shocked it is auto, was wondering if it was the stock box as I didnt see an oil cooler in sight. I can't imagine the BTR 4 speed could handle that sort of grunt, hell driven hard you can bust one in no time with no mods:eek:o1:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh That's more like it!

The reason I want to use a BTR LE95(I think it's from an EB) is because I can get it with harness and ECU for $500.

Yes I have some experience with AOD's and C4's. AOD's can be built very tough but require around $6000 to $8000 to make that happen. An AODE/4R70W would be better and I could use a 94-95 Stang EEC with inbuilt gearbox control and be able to change the whole shift strategy with the EEC-Tuner.... Once again the cost is high.

A wide ratio C4 I can build for about $2000 but I would like to have an extra gear which would allow a 3.9 or so diff ratio.

The other reason is the excellent shift control strategy that the BTR's have. It is without doubt the most intuitive auto there is.
About the only problem I may have is the starter location with my headers(although this may actually improve things if I make my own.....no bastard makes a 1 3/4" header for 351W into XE). Plus I'll have to machine half the 50oz balance weight off the flexplate to suit the 28oz windsor.
This will be a 391 stroker engine. The crank arrives this week.

I can already see areas where I can "trick" the BTR ECU into shifting harder but I would like to do it the right way. Plus I can easliy make a binary switch to enable a sequential shifter to operate.

FTE fan, Are you refering to the Baumann Engineering TCS? A nice piece no doubt.

Dragon; Leons is a manual.

BOF351: Nope haven't seen that. BTW did any of you Perth guy's see my ute on page 7 of the West Australian last tuesday? I liked the caption " A driver puts a Ford ute through manoeuvres"
First time Ive heard a burnout called a "manoeuvre"(giggle).

Aussie pete: Yep I know lachlan and even though Ive helped him out in the past he isn't going to give that kind of info away.

Thanks guys,

Pete.

·
Veteran revhead
413 Posts
BOF, that XR8 isnt white with a group A style front air dam is it? That one is pretty tricked up, has a high stall as well. I cant say as ive seen the Blown XR plates in Freo tho.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
have you considered a fully manual 4 speed? I saw one the other day, it was hooked to a windsor in a (notsolegall) mistubishi van!!!:s3

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Road Warrior said:
BOF, that XR8 isnt white with a group A style front air dam is it? That one is pretty tricked up, has a high stall as well. I cant say as ive seen the Blown XR plates in Freo tho.
Do you mean the white EF with IMNOANGEL plates and that stupid group A style wing?
That is a big pile of shit! The previous owner did all these dodgy things like adding twin throttle bodies to the plenum cover of an Edelbrock intake. It barely breaks into the 14's at the drags. Unfortunately he sucked some poor bastard into buying it.

Botch; I already have a toploader but I'm sick of rebuidling it(twice in 12 months)....It keeps losing the hardening off the layshaft around 1st gear.
I must admit I do prefer manuals and I have got a Richmond 5spd lined up for my Cougar.
So I'll go the auto for the everyday car. The auto will be easier on the Uni joints too.

Hey BOF if that EL is red it's most likely Grahams' and it has a Tremec. Does easy 12.5's with Vortech S-trim. I don't remember the blown plates though. You sure it wasn't an EF?

Pete.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
What i meant was a fully manual automatic 4 speed?!?!WTF I hear you ask.

Its a 4 speed auto gearbox which has an overdrive. There is no computer, loom, sensors,switches etc to stuff with. Just put box in, hook up gearlever and let the fun begin:p :p

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
botch said:
What i meant was a fully manual automatic 4 speed?!?!WTF I hear you ask.

Its a 4 speed auto gearbox which has an overdrive. There is no computer, loom, sensors,switches etc to stuff with. Just put box in, hook up gearlever and let the fun begin:p :p
That's an AOD...
As I said they require big mods to handle big torque and power.
Plus the 1,3,D shift pattern is annoying. It can be fixed with a Lentech Valve body with electric OD delete but that is around $400 U.S. on it's own. I'm after the intuitive shift that only an electronic controlled gearbox can provide.

Thanks anyway,
Pete.

·
Battens PerformanceTuning
211 Posts
Hi Pete,
Ivan Vaduca from Tickford once told me that the BTR 95LE was good for around 420Nm of Torque. I took his word for it and to this day have not had any problems with the box even after the 2000 high stall and all the shit that I give it on the streets.
I am still running the EBGT gearbox ecu as well and like to change gears on upshift at around 6000 rpm and also still feels good.
The life of the trany being so long is probably due to the amount of services it receives.

·
Veteran revhead
413 Posts
XR9UTE,

Yeah thats the one. I remember seeing it for sale in the Auto trader ages ago. It said he had a high stall and twin throttle bodies etc etc. If he carnt do 14's in it then it must be a bit of a slapper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts