Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to motorhome 1996 containing an E350 chasis with a 7.5 v8. upon driving it home it had slight backfiring issues along with power issues. Found the air filter housing to be busted missing the upper part probably from inexperienced removal try. there was a small diameter hose maybe 3/8 or 1/4 not connected and appeared to have been connected to the upper plastic part of the air filter housing. Would or could this be causing the issues described? I have tried to locate a used housing as ford says obsolete. Junk yard part search didnt turn one up! Does anyone know where I may find a used Air filter housing? Thanks in advance for any and all help or suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
Dependant on where the hose is coming from .If it's a vac hose that goes to air filter and is drawing air it wont help with back firing . Seen some where back firing done damage to air filter .Might be better to solve back firing issue before replacing filter or it could damage any replacement ( if you get one ) On some filters there was a small hose that opened / shut flap on filter . Just an example but usually can find on E bay,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dependant on where the hose is coming from .If it's a vac hose that goes to air filter and is drawing air it wont help with back firing . Seen some where back firing done damage to air filter .Might be better to solve back firing issue before replacing filter or it could damage any replacement ( if you get one ) On some filters there was a small hose that opened / shut flap on filter . Just an example but usually can find on E bay,

Thank you but in my post I mention being experienced with 7.3 diesels, but what I didnt clarify is that the issue I have now is on a 1996 E350 7.5 v8 gasoline engine. I have no experience with this engine type. For clarification are you saying that the 7.5 gasoline engine has issues of backfiring and damages the Air cleaner filter box.? I will mention that the lower box housing is cracked but the upper lid part is partially gone (maybe 60 percent or more) and I was wondering how the lid got shredded or cracked like that ? I dont see anyone ripping the air filter box apart in the removal of the box? Again thank you and apologies for my lack of computer skills in replying to post in that my typing or lack therof leads to me misleading or not clarifying points im trying to express. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you but in my post I mention being experienced with 7.3 diesels, but what I didnt clarify is that the issue I have now is on a 1996 E350 7.5 v8 gasoline engine. I have no experience with this engine type. For clarification are you saying that the 7.5 gasoline engine has issues of backfiring and damages the Air cleaner filter box.? I will mention that the lower box housing is cracked but the upper lid part is partially gone (maybe 60 percent or more) and I was wondering how the lid got shredded or cracked like that ? I dont see anyone ripping the air filter box apart in the removal of the box? Again thank you and apologies for my lack of computer skills in replying to post in that my typing or lack therof leads to me misleading or not clarifying points im trying to express. Thank you.
I apologize in that I did not mention my experience with a 7.3 diesel on this website, it was another one.

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
My reply was not specific to your vehicle but in respect to gas / petrol engines in general . I have had numerous different makes where the air filter was shattered and also some where the muffler / silencer was completely split open due to backfiring engines .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My reply was not specific to your vehicle but in respect to gas / petrol engines in general . I have had numerous different makes where the air filter was shattered and also some where the muffler / silencer was completely split open due to backfiring engines .
Your analysis of the possibility of backfiring is very insightful. I have a sneaky feeling you are dead on with that possibility. Nothing else makes sense. Thank you. If you have any idea as how to solve or replace the busted filter box issue it would be a great help?

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
If you cant find any on e bay or breakers yard , you could replace with an air intake kit . K & N usually have on for most vehicles or a company like summitracing ,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you cant find any on e bay or breakers yard , you could replace with an air intake kit . K & N usually have on for most vehicles or a company like summitracing ,

Found simular ford intake and modified it to work but because of top of original box being gone didnt realize there was a small 1/8 inch vacume line on top of box. I didnt reinstall, just blocked it off with a screw. What does this line do and will blocking it off cause problems?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts