Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is non-Probe related, but I thought since I dont know much about Jettas maybe Ill ask you guys what you think...
Ok, well Im having a lot of problems moving forward with the Probe, every step involves complications and thus takes a lot more time than it should so Im thinking about putting her away early for winter...
Anyways, since I no longer have the Maxima I was pushing until now, and my Daytona pissed me off to the point where Id rather take the bus than drive that piece of [email protected], Ive been looking for another beater and I found a decent Jetta. Its black, 2-door, 5 speed, its got a nice set of 16" rims new NT450s, alarm system (better than the one in my PGT :eek: ) racing steering wheel... all for $800. Its an 87' Wolfsburg Edition but its in aight cond. Its only something Ill drive to work and school for the winter...
Anyways what do you guys think? The guy is waiting for the title, as soon as he calls me Ill buy the thing. I heard those old VW engines are tough, but I kinda have a feeling it will be a pain in the ass, I mean its an 87 with like 150k miles... But I dont have a choice if I want to keep the probe garaged this winter...

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Have you seen it run, did you get to take it for a test drive? I personally think Jettas are nice cars. They are a little boxy, but still nice. I know there is a large aftermarket for the newer Jettas (mainly the Vr6), but I am not sure about an 87. It would be a good car to be different with, since you do not see alot of custom Jettas driving around, especially older ones. I say get it and be unique, during the winter at least...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I drove it, the brakes need to be bled and the shifter bushings will have to be replaced. The idea is that Im gonna try NOT to hook it up - otherwise Id just get another PGT as I planned originally but Im wasting all my money on the probe I have so imagine having two...
Anyways, the kid Im buying it from is from the neighborhood, we went to the same high school and he works at a performance shop now. He said he was gonna get a brand new VR6 engine in the car but he changed his mind and bought another Honda... :thumbdown: And its not so rare around here, I see a lot of older Golfs and Jettas hooked up. Im sure I could get parts but Im trying not to find any sources. ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah exactly... As long as it runs I wont complain...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the car, just bought it today. I may be selling it though cuz a friend of mine has a friend that wants it bad. He has a VR6 engine and a tranny almost brand new, he wants to hook it up and race it... For $1200 Ill let it go...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey this car is pretty cool! I found out its got the 90 ground effects and front, Recaro seats from a 90 GTI and some other goodies. I think Ill keep it! Its funny though in the driveway it looks so high compared to the Probe (wich is slammed right now, gotta love GCs...), the Probes roof is almost at the same level with the Jettas trunk... Whenever I drive it I feel like Im in a truck... But theres enormous space inside, so thats good - I keep losing my phones in there though :rolleyes:...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im keeping it for now! Still havent made up my mind though! I have my eyes on a 96 CBR 600... For 2 grand, its a good deal, but I wouldnt be able to ride it for at least 4-5 months... :(

Unless I buy this 97 Maxima my friend told me about - has some legal problems, so I would have to take it in pieces to make sure Im not driving around with a few pounds of dope... FREEBIE!!! :D - Im keeping the Jetta.

Decisions, decisions...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts