Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im about to buy a manual 1989 Telstar TX5 GHIA hatch for $600. For the price its not bad; 231,000 km (engine has been rebuilt, but unkown kms.) Body work ok; some rust on the l/h rear guard (just bubbles) paint faded and the interior is a bit stained. I drove the car; felt really good aside from brake fade. I was told it was in need of a service as it had been sitting for a couple of months. (oil change; spark plugs, brake pads and the choke sticks abit.)

It drives fine; really like it - just needs a tidy. My question is it seems to guzzle gas a bit are they really this bad? 1/4 tank in 50 kms, or is it cos of idling too high from the choke. Is it worth it? Is the GHIA (2.0 dohc n/a) version 4 wheel steer?

· Registered
442 Posts
I think you'll find the 4WS car only came out in the AY series- 92-94 (last of the Telstars). I;ve heard these cars are fairly robust so the rebuild comes as a bit of a suprise. Also...what were you doing to get brake fade? If you weren't brakingvery hard, then it may e time to change brake fluid (water gets in and causes squishy brake pedal when the calipers warm up enough). Still...$600 sounds ok.
GO and have a look on redbook.com.au and see what they says it's worth.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get parts cheap as I work at a Ford dealership. I have $1500 to throw at it should anything creep up. At the moment its really just bleeding/replacing brake shoes thats priority. Might have to do the rear struts, but they still have some life left in them. Not too worried; I was going for a harder setup anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.