Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

The last few days ive noticed a buzzing sound (thats the best i can describe it - maby a low whistle) coming from the engine bay when the car is idling. As soon as i bring the revs up even a little , it stops. It only does it when its warm.It can be heard in the cabin and has me stumped. :fraz:

Any ideas guys? :wnc:

thanks
James :angel:

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Could be the power steering pump? I know mine makes a bit of a noise if it's idling a bit low.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I'd suggest ISC. Now and again I hear one like this, dunno why :p Try using a screwdriver as a stethoscope....
Or it could be a vacuum leak. Remember the vacuum is highest with the throttle closed.

Alex

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the suggestions guys.

I can cross the ISC off the list because i took it out and it still did it.And its aint the steering pump. Im thinking a vacuum leak - but where do i shart looking for it?

thanks
james

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Get a can of cheap degreaser.
While the engine's idling, spray it over the whole intake system, one part at a time, and listen for the idle speed to change.
Don't be afraid to use plenty of it, it sounds like only a small leak so you'll have trouble finding it I imagine....

Oh BTW don't forget the vacuum supply lines for the dash and brake booster.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mongrelEB , i dont understand - what will spraying degreaser achieve?

It appears loudest on the extractors side of the engine i must say....

thanks for the reply.

James

·
Happy lil Vegemite
188 Posts
Carsik I think he was getting at the fact it might help temp seal up leaks to aid in tracking down where they are.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks -AL- , ive got a day off this week so ill give it a go....

Now , ive been noticed its getting worse over the last few days , and i must stress it only happens at Idle when warm , never when cold.....would a vacume leak only occur when hot?

james

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Yes check the valve near the thermostat, it would open when hot (supposed to be really hot) but the car is old and it may have a leak

·
Registered
126 Posts
some after market pcv valves make a small buzzing noise , run the engine pop the bonnet and press down on the pcv valve with ya thumb and see if the buzzing stops

1 - 12 of 12 Posts