Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
It's a little difficult to tell just from that pic but it looks like a Windsor to me.

Count the rocker cover bolts. A Windsor has 6 and a Cleveland has 8. If you can show a pic of the thermostat housing area then there is a difference there. The Cleveland has a snout on the front of the block that houses the timing chain and has the thermostat housing on it and the Windsor has a removeable aluminium casing that houses the timing chain.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lance i will see when i get the car, i got it off of ebay 1970 Galaxie , we will see when i get it here and add some pictures of the car also , i will be happy with either one specs on a 70 351 W 4 barel i think are 300 Hp and 365 lbs Trq its all good to me

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's a little difficult to tell just from that pic but it looks like a Windsor to me.

Count the rocker cover bolts. A Windsor has 6 and a Cleveland has 8. If you can show a pic of the thermostat housing area then there is a difference there. The Cleveland has a snout on the front of the block that houses the timing chain and has the thermostat housing on it and the Windsor has a removeable aluminium casing that houses the timing chain.

Hope this helps.
The easy way is to say the W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Why worry about the number of cover bolts, fuel pump bolts verticle or horizontal or any of the other difficult to remember or see ways?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
The easy way is to say the W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Why worry about the number of cover bolts, fuel pump bolts verticle or horizontal or any of the other difficult to remember or see ways?
Fair enough George but that explanation has been used before and has still resulted in some confusion and the rocker cover bolts have sorted it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Still can't see how it's easier to remember the number of bolts vs where the thermostat is, but what ever works for you!
I agree. other easy way for W or C motor is the Cleveland fuel pump has the bolts verticle, on top of each other, and the Windsor has them side by side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts