Ford Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Performance Automatics SuperComp C4 behind my BBF. So far the car has only seen about 200 miles on the street, still sorting it before I hit the 1/4 mile. I've yet to give it a WOT launch, due to lack of traction with street tires, but have noticed that with about 1/2 throttle or more the 2-3 gear change will slip. The engine picks up a few revs during the gear change, and the change takes maybe 1 sec, whereas all other gear changes are firm and instant. The gearbox has a full manual rev pattern valvebody with transbrake, though I do not have the transbrake wired up yet. Is this problem a symptom of something serious, or is it just a band adjustment required?
Any advice I can get before I take it to a trans shop would be much appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like it has too much clearance in the direct drum. At half throttle the car is making some torque and if it is pulling through direct then, at wide open it could be worse. You could try taking the spring out of the servo to kind of put a band aid on the shift feel, but I think you'll have the trans out before too much longer.

· Registered
360 Posts
i really no stuff all about this but my c4 that i just got back from fully rebuilt with full manual kit did the same and the bloke that built it put the wrong spring in ( the kit gives you 2 different springs and he put in the wrong one )
after it slipped a few times , he swapped it around but it was too late the clutches were too far gone , guess what , another rebuild , no i didnt go back to same bloke

· New toy in the shed
571 Posts
I will tell your problem. Performance Automatics Super Comp C4 They don't have a very good rep when it comes to performance auto's. Evey one who has had one end up telling them to shove it. Or like a friend of mine did throw it through the window. I wish you luck.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After sending 2 emails to PA and receiving no reply, I decided to strip the trans myself, with the help of my local trans shop. Everything looked fine, the clutches looked new, there was only a little bit of friction material in the bottom of the sump. So I replaced the standard steels with kolene steels and it all went back together. Installed it with a new convertor, and all is okay so far. I haven't given it too much stick yet on the street, plan on hitting the track next Wednesday so will see how it goes then.

· Big Motor Top Loader !!
284 Posts
ToddZC said:
After sending 2 emails to PA and receiving no reply, I decided to strip the trans myself, with the help of my local trans shop. Everything looked fine, the clutches looked new, there was only a little bit of friction material in the bottom of the sump. So I replaced the standard steels with kolene steels and it all went back together. Installed it with a new convertor, and all is okay so far. I haven't given it too much stick yet on the street, plan on hitting the track next Wednesday so will see how it goes then.
So how did you go?

· Registered
2 Posts
xrgt said:
So how did you go?
I came across this sight by accident and thought I should respond. I or no one I know at Performance Automatic has gotten your emails. Anyone can email me personally by going to our websight and going to the section "contact the owner" and sending me an email. I answer everyone personally and usually the same day.We are the only company that stands behind our product with a lifetime warranty.It is my job to make sure we build the best and nothing else.The shifting complaint that is described is easily fixable. Again,anyone can email me personally. We enjoy working with our friends downunder Thanks Tom

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tom, thanks for responding. I used the contact link through your website. It has worked for me before, but maybe not this time. No worries.
As I previously mentioned, I stripped the trans for an inspection, all looked good, so it went back together. I raced it last Saturday and it worked fine. Haven't hooked up the trans brake yet, still waiting for a trans shield. Otherwise it's all okay so far.
The guy at the local trans shop where I pulled it down mentioned increasing the line pressure, but we decided to leave it be and hope the increased pressure from higher rpm would be okay. As I said, it's all working okay so far.
Thanks,
Todd

· Registered
2 Posts
ToddZC said:
Hi Tom, thanks for responding. I used the contact link through your website. It has worked for me before, but maybe not this time. No worries.
As I previously mentioned, I stripped the trans for an inspection, all looked good, so it went back together. I raced it last Saturday and it worked fine. Haven't hooked up the trans brake yet, still waiting for a trans shield. Otherwise it's all okay so far.
The guy at the local trans shop where I pulled it down mentioned increasing the line pressure, but we decided to leave it be and hope the increased pressure from higher rpm would be okay. As I said, it's all working okay so far.
Thanks,
Todd
Hey Todd, please try the website again so that I can see if it's working ok Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.