Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
New to the Ford Game
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I decided to start this thread as I've noticed a number of threads posted under a few different topics/discussions by XR owners. I've also had a bit of trouble with forums and internet searches in general, that when you type in XR you seem to get a lot of sites and subjects on later XRs, such as XR8s etc.

My aim is to bring together all the XR owners using Ford Forums under one thread. This is so we can share photos, chat about our XRs, make contacts, and a few of us new owners can obtain knowledge from experienced XR owners. Also, those of us with XR projects can bounce ideas off each other, and maybe source a few parts from other owners, or learn where some good places are to obtain some.

I've already obtained some valuable knowledge through this site, and one email alone from mrxrgt has given me some information that I was having real trouble finding.

So I hope to hear from a few of you XR owners out there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
theedmancometh - good idea. i also had trouble finding things on the net with the ever increasing new xr sites. i got my 66 xr about a year ago and have been restoring it. think i am in the same boat as you with the 250 pre crossflow and disc brake conversion. anychane of forwarding that email you said was good. though i would also give you some pics of my resto. finished the stripping and now the car is in the panel shop. i was also trying to find if there are any xr clubs in victoria, could someone let me know. or whats a good club for the xr xt xw and xy's. thanks

added some more pics of her in the booth. undercoat done now just waiting for color. yeah.

Attachments

·
XRGT Start of a Legend
54 Posts
Craig,
I have owned my XRGT since 1981 & will get more involved in this thread once I get a little better health wise - will also send you those heater pics once I'm able to.
Go the XR's - best model ever built
Wato

·
Registered
53 Posts
atlast i am doing up an xr as my first street machine. I have alot of questions and i think this is a good idea. i to have the same problems with finding stuff on the net where as my mate with is val has access to hundreds of deticated sites. I'm currently in the process of sourcing an x-flow engine that will fit in with little mods.

I live in sydney and we have some great wreakers and ford shops like the tonka shop that have nearly every partincluding some mint panels.I'm always scatching around so if your after something type a thread.

·
New to the Ford Game
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FreshinXR - Good to see the XR is coming along nicely, have you seen any pix of my car elsewhere on Forums? If not, I'll attach some to this thread. The email I mentioned is specifically about the installation of XR factory heaters. If you're still keen I'll send it on ot you.

Wato - hope your health improves for you, I can wait for those photos. I have managed to purchase a heater off ebay recently.

XR-smothy - g'day, good to see another XR owner checking out the thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All
I have an XR that i got on the road 2 years ago after a lengthy stint in the shed.
Somewhere around i noticed a bunch of questions about upgrading the XR braking system..(i am new here). This is something i am having trouble with myself. I currently am using XE front discs/calipers, which at best only just work ok...and original XT dual circuit master cylinder. For some bizarre reason i keep blowing the seal in the master cyl for the front brakes and get fluid transfer from front to rear.
I have investigated many different boosters, and cant find any that will simply bolt in. The XA and later boosters are all to long to fit, and even the XW requires modificatoin to the firewall as the distance between the master cylinders for the brake and clutch is different due to the addition of the booster.
Has anybody got a system that works and is easy to fit?
any help would be great!

·
XRGT Start of a Legend
54 Posts
Hey Exxar,
I read alot of info here about ppl mixing and matching brake stuff for XR's - whats wrong with the original booster and set up - it was good enough to win Bathurst with!
People forget XR's had a single circuit braking system with power assistance front and rear - from XT onwards the power assistance was front only.
the rear cylinders are smaller in diameter, the only thing a vh40 booster wont do is be powerful enough for 4wheel discs but in the end your rear brakes only do 20% of your braking so whats the big deal.
The system i use is the standard XR braking with XW ventilated front discs on my gold car - works great, doesnt lock up - dont understand what all the fuss is about really??
Gee if you want to hide the remote booster you can put in under the guard for an even cleaner engine bay look. If you are concerned your discs are only just working ok, maybe one of the new RRS front ends with struts would help, they have big discs on them - what sort of pads do you run, maybe the problem is there.
You wont find any other boosters that bolt in because the XR's were built with the remote vh40 only. Give us some more info on your set up and maybe we can fix it up for you. Possibly the disc piston sizes are no good but what booster are you using?
Wato

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi MrxrGt
First off all, it is great to finally talk to people who know what they are talking about when it comes to XR's!
The problem wouldn't be a problem if the previous owner of my vehicle kept the original gear....
I am using an XT master cyl and remote booster (vh40) and would be happy to keep using it...but i have blown 3 master cyninder seals in the last year. which leads me to believe there is a problem.
It is all standard XT brakes exept for the rotors and calipers, which are standard XD'XE. Everything has been renewed or reconditioned within the last 2 years.
I have tried the wreckers looking for original stub axles and rotors so as to put it all back to standard, but as i am sure all here are aware of...parts aint easy to find, and most wreckers try to tell me to put a later model master cylinder in.
I do not know what the piston sizes are...but i will look into it. If it is any help...the break pedal always feels really hard.

·
XRGT Start of a Legend
54 Posts
Hey there Exxar,
didnt mean to sound agro - if your brake pedal is feeling hard you should check your booster out first because its either not getting enuf vacuum of its not giving power assistance. With that set up you would need to be running Xt sized rear wheel cylinders (13/16th?? i think) other than that it would work fine. I think you may be stuffing the seal up from standing on your poor old master cylinder too much because your booster isnt helping at all. First try is to get that tested and try a different valve in it - make sure you are using vacuum from the plenum and not one runner as some manifolds do as well
keep us posted
Wato

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi MrXrGT
I knew u weren't agro. When i first got my xr, it had been unrego'd for some time, but still had it's NSW number plates which was"AGROXR"....
brakes...yes...we must be psychic. I had the same thought yestersday after reading what i had posted. I am going to rip the brake booster off as soon as i can and test it out. The engine has had a few mods...don't know how this is affecting my vacuum, has a big alloy inlet manifold (offenhouser 360) but the vacuum is coming from the plenum....i agree with what you posted and will be following that up before anything else. Just been stompin' on the old thing to hard. Theory is wonderful anyway
The rear wheel cylinders...
Ok, just so you know my running gear;
289 block with 302 crank, bit of work done to it..., toploader and good ol' 9". I think the 9" (from an xy) is running about a 13/16 wheel cyl.
Keep on shinin' MrGt and thanks for sharing

·
Registered
80 Posts
When i had my XR, it had 4 wheel drums, so i put a complete XB front- upper and lower arms, radius rods, stub axles, calipers and rotors in, and retained the standard single master cyl and VH40 booster.

The above setup seemed to work well.

My current XT Fairmont has a completely original setup- drum rear/ 7"solid front discs, std twin circuit master cyl and remote booster. the brakes pull the car up pretty well considering, though the pedal does feel a little hard. Perhaps the hard feel is just a characteristic of the master cyl/ booster setup (just an idea, im probably wrong!!)

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wato is right
Try checking out the booster & MAKE SURE front calipers r ok still

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my brakes checked out.... not getting enough vacuum due to the large cam and my booster is faulty too...i can put a separate vacuum tank too help with the vacuum.
Being able to stop again will be good!!!
Guy at the brake shop reckons i should be running 1 1/16 rear wheel cylinders for the v8. Does anyone know for sure?
Luke

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
My records indicate that the rear wheel cylinder`s on xr falcon disc/drum combo should with remote vh40 booster should only be 5/8" I think they are quoting the front wheel cylinder for drum/drum there is a chance there book won`t go back to the good old days and the last time I tried to get these I had to get the old cylinders re sleved, a better option if the old girl is not a daily driver.

But check with MRXRGT before you go out & spend the shells as there are two different master cylinder diameters listed & I dont know what effect this may have on the system apart from the pedal feel, I know dads xr & za always had a good hard pedal compared to todays pussy brake pedals.

Regards James

·
New to the Ford Game
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
G'day all, seems the thread is working well already as a few XR owners are now coming together under the thread.
I have posted a new thread under classic era falcons entitled "In dire need of XR window winder parts", which sums it up really. Currently my XR does not have a warrant, which means I can't legally drive it at the moment. What is holding me up is the drivers window.
Without repeating another thread I'll just refer to another of mine, "68 Falcon Questions", where I was asking about window winders. 302xm has posted one of the first replys, and he has attached a pic showing the exact components from the winding mechanism I need. If anyone has the time could they briefly check out the thread (should only take a couple of minutes), and I really need to hear from anybody (pm me please) that may have these parts available to sell. The thread explains my problem in a lot more depth, as I realise this post under this thread is quite vague as to what I require.

Also, what is the availibility of XR 500s in reasonable nick over in oz?

Thanks guys,

Ed

·
Registered
661 Posts
hay guys.doing a 67 xr full resto at the moment,which has so far been 2 years in the making on the bodywork alone.just about ready to go into the shop now for final coats.looks shit hot and dead straight too.here is one thing that i did differenlty with my brake setup.i had consulted a few brake shops to give me an idea on how good the remote booster setups are and since i will be running a fairly stout cam i wanted to make sure this system would cut the mustard.unfortunately the news was not too reassuring.most guys told me that the vh 44 would not have enough capacity to stop the car effectively if i were to use disc brakes all round.a quick call to Darren at GT fast ford parts soon put me on track.the advice was simple.update to later xw,xy type setup and do away with the vh44 altogether.sounded simple enough until he told me that i would have to cut a sizeable section out of my firewall and in its place graft one from an xy.the whole process seemed daunting enough but after a day of work it was completed.you will need to source the pedal box as well as it is unique to each model.this setup is great as i will be running an auto but if i decide to run a manual at any stage later than it is a bolt on situation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts