Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just recently acquired a 1988 Ea with CFI and was wondering if you could use the 4.0 litre block with the 3.9 litre Head. Also I was wondering if a automatic transmission locks up could it stop you from turning the engine by hand. I have a little bit of mechancial knowledge I'm just at a loss why this engine will not turn by hand. :AAHHH:

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Put the auto in neutral if you want to turn the motor

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The heads are a straight swap. Be a little careful with the rocker gear though, not all 4L rocker arms/camshafts are made equal.....
As to the box I never bothered to find out but Park definitely does not lock up the motor. The forward gears might but I don't believe so. What's the history on this car, was it runnning when you got it?
Did it stop with a bang? :) I.e. could it have thrown a rod or siezed or what?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Forward or reverse gears will lock up the motor for what is worth as they try to turn the tail shat and hence the wheels, park I though dropped a PIN into the gearbox to lock it up, hence put a car in park only no handbrake it doesnt roll away, so neutral is the only one thta can be used.

Jason

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Forward or reverse gears will lock up the motor for what is worth as they try to turn the tail shat and hence the wheels, park I though dropped a PIN into the gearbox to lock it up, hence put a car in park only no handbrake it doesnt roll away, so neutral is the only one thta can be used.

Jason

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeh Park locks up the gearbox. Not the motor though, I have rotated auto motors in P many a time :p Anyway if it locked the motor the car wouldn't be able to start.

My 2c :angel:
ALex

·
Registered
354 Posts
with an auto gear selection is not going to effect if the engine can be turned over by hand. with a manual, yeah it makes a difference, auto no.

the 4.0l's have a different shaped larger combustion chamber and that all the difference is(afaik). it'll bolt straight on without any grief.

·
Blown351
8 Posts
Your engine will always turn with a auto because you have your torque converter in between the box and the engine which is oil driven, there is no way you could turn an engine fast enough by hand to get the required oil pressure up to have an effect on the box therefore doesn't make any difference what gear you have it in......... try pulling a harmonic balancer of....... pain in the arse

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
It should turn with Tbar in any position does the engine start? it maybe seized

1 - 10 of 10 Posts