Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Dad bought a 1930 Ford Coupe, it has a hood on it we've never seen. It's all original metal, 30k mi and has been stored in a barn for the last 30 years. The hood is not aftermarket this is not a street rod. This is the hood. I'm trying to find out how rare this hood was, my Dad and grandpa have had many many model As over the years and neither have seen this hood before. It's definitely the original as my Dads the 2nd owner and the car is rustfree and untouched down to the interior and paint. It was definitely a find but we're very curious about this hood.

http://www.rootlieb.com/html_files/ma_1930_31_hds/pages/08_ma_30_31_hd_jpg.htm

I've tried to research through google and still am but am hoping somebody here may know something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see it, but I was looking for some details. We've never seen one before and wondering how common it was. His is a coupe by the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Just because it's as old as the car doesn't mean it's the original Ford hood. They were offering thing like aftermarket customised hood even back in the 20's and 30's. The doors would have given it a La Salle or Lincoln look as well as offering advantages like quicker warm up in winter.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Note aftermarket parts of that era are often more collectabel than the original Ford stuff so yes if its from the 20's or 30's it may be valuable. Does it have anything printed on it: brands and /or numbers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about markings or anything, he just sold the car. There was no sticker (don't really expect anything of this era to have a sticker), and I didn't check for anything to be stamped into the metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well found out the hood was a rare 30s aftermarket hood. They made a few more in the 60's (definitely older then that as the cars been sitting since the 60s and the paint has faded) and they currently are making them again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts