Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MoreHPformyXR6
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Im looking at getting the CAPA edit but from the research ive done it appears that a custome tune maximizes the edit. Can anyone recommend a tuner in Adelaide with the runs on the board for the BA I6 NA?

·
Want Roots Blower
120 Posts
I was about to ask the same question, but for the XR8.

The two you hear the most about are Morpowa and KPM. When you find a good one, let us know.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
A custom tune may be the best KPM charge $1990.00. I'm getting my edit done through Road and Track Services. They dyno the car, send the results to Chip Torque, who then send a tune back, which is then loaded into the car, redynoed and checked for detonation. This is for a grand total of $1300.00. Is it worth another $700.00 for a custom tune with probably a negligible gain.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
A custom tune may be the best KPM charge $1990.00. I'm getting my edit done through Road and Track Services. They dyno the car, send the results to Chip Torque, who then send a tune back, which is then loaded into the car, redynoed and checked for detonation. This is for a grand total of $1300.00. Is it worth another $700.00 for a custom tune with probably a negligible gain.
Graham West Dyno on Marion Road also do the edit custom tuning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
smally351 said:
Try Specialty Tuning at Marion, talk to Neville.
Yeah give Neville a call SPECIALTY TUNING MARION
U25-27/ 788 Marion Rd Marion 5043 (08) 8298 6377

He's a top bloke and does a great job, (really looks after your car & no bullshit) If he cant help he will point you in the right direction

·
Registered
2 Posts
KPM supplied a CAPA edit and set up a 95RON 8lb boost custom tune for $1700 (plus a valet tune & a 98RON 10LB boost) on my stock XRT and it level pegs with a Gen3, got to be happy with that :) What's more, you can return the car to stock in 3 mins for the odd under warranty work!

Just love the look on their faces when their V8's just don't cut the mustard.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
FANTM1 said:
Graham West Dyno on Marion Road also do the edit custom tuning.
The $1990 is for an XR8, the Xr6 Turbo is $1690.
My "Chip Torque" CAPA Flash tuner will give me 3 different modes. 91 octane economy mode, 95 octane performance mode, and 98 octane performance mode. Plus the original Ford tune.

·
MoreHPformyXR6
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FANTM1 said:
Hi There

Thanks for your reply (so did u buy the capa edit from road & track & are having them send the re-sults to Chip Torque) all up for $1300? (also do you know if the I6 NA is cheaper than for ur V8?)
As my mate gets a lot work done on his two race cars by Gill Cameron owner of Road & Track & i know they do great work.

·
Want Roots Blower
120 Posts
Those prices include the actual flasher unit, right?

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
MoreHPformyXR6 said:
Hi There

Thanks for your reply (so did u buy the capa edit from road & track & are having them send the re-sults to Chip Torque) all up for $1300? (also do you know if the I6 NA is cheaper than for ur V8?)
As my mate gets a lot work done on his two race cars by Gill Cameron owner of Road & Track & i know they do great work.
CAPA are the importing agent for the edit, Everybody else just onsells them under there own name. Mine is from Chiptorque, who load in their own programs. They have been editing enough to be pretty close to the mark. My pre-edit dyno runs were sent to Chiptorque so they could taylor their profile to better suit my car. Road & Track have the unit waiting for me. I am going in next Tuesday to have the edit loaded in and the car dynoed. It is easy enough to load (swap) programs yourself, but the dyno is a 'peace of mind' thing before you drive the car on the road. They can check air/fuel ratios and make sure there is not too much timing advance. If things aren't right the flash unit will be sent back to chiptorque for a tweak.
You can buy cheaper from BPT in W.A., but you don't get any dyno runs or local back up.
I don't see why an IL6 would be differently priced with this process, but why not ring and find out. Ph.8344 8930
Yes, Gil is a pretty straight forward guy, and he won't kid you about wild maximum gains at the rear wheels. When you get your after-edit dyno you know it will be a fair figure, not fudged to look like a V8 supercar. Also Chiptorque will be training the Road & Track dyno guy to use the editing software later this year.

·
MoreHPformyXR6
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FANTM1 said:
Hi there
Have u had your edit installed by Road & Track yet if so what results did u achieve?

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
MoreHPformyXR6 said:
Hi there
Have u had your edit installed by Road & Track yet if so what results did u achieve?
Yes. At this stage still trying the diff. programs. I dynoed it with a tank of premium fuel, and the readings were Factory tune 206kW, 95 tune 209kW and 98 tune 212kw. The 98 tune may go up a couple of kW using 98 fuel. I have driven the car using an 'economy tune' and it seems to be economical. The 95 tune does seem to perform a bit better down low than factory and the acceleration is quite good. However it is a bit thirtsy, even when trying to drive economically. I loaded in the 98 tune, and gave it a bit of a run still on 95 fuel and yes it had a lot more low down pull. I can not run on this program with 95 fuel because it pings when the engine gets hot under full throttle.So I am looking forward to filling up with 98 octane.
I believe my 95 tune needs a bit of work, from down low to 3,500 rpm. Even my dyno graphs show not very impressive results at this end (for air/fuel ratio and power). I have spoken to Chip Torque about this and they said they would look at tweeking it. But I am going to run the programs for a while and see how they fair.
These are not phenominal gains as some claim, it's probably more about good driveability. But I guess if you went back to my original pre-flash dyno run on 91 octane fuel, which was 200 rwkW, by the time I run the 98 tune with 98 fuel I will have gained around 14 - 15 rwkW.
Another thing to remember is this dyno may also be reading low, because when it was first dynoed at 200rwKw the operator thought I had more than a sports system and CAI. because their dyno usually reads 195 for an XR8. Other figures I have seen are around 205rwkW. So on another dyno I might be up around 220 - 225rwkW on 98 octane.
It's almost impossible to get all the runs on the same day with the respective fuels for each program and the same air and engine temperature.
I've only had it on for 3 days. Give me a bit more time to try out and report back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts