Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mcccli
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey; I'm confident the answer is yes, but you can never be too sure with these things...
Can I bolt an EB diff onto an EL;
Will the rims with an EB pattern bolt onto an EL?
Finally, I assume I can swap the clutch and flywheel over from the EB to the EL also??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eb's generally don't have ABS so if your EL does and the EB doen't it may need small mods to put the sensors somewhere. And then ABS rotors fitted.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
you will run into problems with the handbrake setup on the EL. they have a shoe inside each rotor which is the handbrake... i also believe the trailing arms might be a different thickness...

wheels are fine...

·
EBII GLi 4.0L 4spd LPG
143 Posts
with the clutch and flywheel, i scored an EA with an EB2 motor and T5. i dunno if the T5 was from the EA or got put in with the EB2 but i later found out that there are two different sized clutches: 9.5" and 10" and i have the 9.5 with i gather means its the EA manual... so you might just wanna check that ur flywheel on the EL is the same size as the EB...

but if ur swapping the whole assembely from EB to EL then you "should" be fine but not 100%...

·
Mcccli
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exactly do you mean by the trailing arms?
Also, I guess with the handbrake situation I could just swap the axles over and get new bearings put into the EL while I'm at it and that should be all good yes??
The main thing I want from the diff on my EB is the center since I had new bearings put in and slightly changed the ratio. (Speaking of which, will I find the gear thingy for my speedo in the top of my gearbox for my speedo??)
Finally re: the flywheel; pretty sure I should be ok with that then since I've got a feeling i've got a lightened flywheel to suit the XR6T and slightly larger clutch (since fords good ol' pedal box doesnt like heavy clutches)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Slabz said:
with the clutch and flywheel, i scored an EA with an EB2 motor and T5. i dunno if the T5 was from the EA or got put in with the EB2 but i later found out that there are two different sized clutches: 9.5" and 10" and i have the 9.5 with i gather means its the EA manual... so you might just wanna check that ur flywheel on the EL is the same size as the EB...

but if ur swapping the whole assembely from EB to EL then you "should" be fine but not 100%...
yes, there is a different flywheel on ea's and eb's. ea's i believe take an 8" clutch :)ghey:, and what i have on my car) and eb's 9", but you can fit a 9.5" clutch). i am getting an XR6T flywheel and clutch, 10.5". should sort out my flat shifting problems at 5800rpm... :D

mcccy005 said:
What exactly do you mean by the trailing arms?
Also, I guess with the handbrake situation I could just swap the axles over and get new bearings put into the EL while I'm at it and that should be all good yes??
The main thing I want from the diff on my EB is the center since I had new bearings put in and slightly changed the ratio. (Speaking of which, will I find the gear thingy for my speedo in the top of my gearbox for my speedo??)
Finally re: the flywheel; pretty sure I should be ok with that then since I've got a feeling i've got a lightened flywheel to suit the XR6T and slightly larger clutch (since fords good ol' pedal box doesnt like heavy clutches)
I think the thinkness of the trailing arms are different in eb's and el's... not 100% sure... sorry... unfortunately you would need to swap more than the axles over for the handbrake setup to swap over...

you could swap over the gears from your eb diff. they will fit straight in. i would suggest getting this done by a professional, as you will want the gears to mark up correctly or you will have a noisey diff, and most likely break it prematurely. the speedo transducer connected to the gearbox. you can undo it and fit it to the el once you have changed everything over.

i also believe that some bellhousing modification will need to be done to fit the BA flywheel. i am getting mine done for me. i dont want the hassle.

·
Mcccli
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll just fork out the $400 again and get the diff on the EL rebuilt down the track. Sounds like its too much hassel and at least my eb will still maintain a bit of extra value with the rebuilt diff.

Regarding your clutch/flywheel setup from the XR6T, I didn't have any modifications to my bellhousing to get the clutch and flywheel fitted.
I've probably got the receipt at home somewhere still so if you want I can tell you what model the clutch and flywheel were (the clutch was definitely an Xtreme clutch ceramic cushion/button and i'm pretty sure thats where the flywheel came from too)

·
Mcccli
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry OED666 - keep forgetting to check out the info on the clutch.
I'll try look in the next couple days otherwise if you need to know pretty soon, feel free to give me a call at a night time on 0421399013 and I'll see what I can find out.
I'll try to remember tonight if I can!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The swap over is pretty straight forward I have done an EL XR6 LSD into EB and the only changes required were to weld on a nut to accomodate the EB brake line mounting to the diff along with a couple of tags to secure the brake line either side of the diff. I noticed the EL studs were longer and although this wouldnt cause a problem, I decided to swap them and the axels over with the ones out of the EB... just unbolt, pull out of one, replace with other..... this also resolved any potential mismatches with the ABS setup. Evertything else just bolted straight up and I was sideways in no time.

Suggest that the reverse swap as you mention would be achieved in the same manner, with ABS mount and brake line mount being the only small areas to tidy up..... I had cable ties on the brake lines for a period until Warrent of Fitness time without issue. It doesnt take that much time or effort so you should give a go without swapping the axels first and then worst case swap them like I did..... best of luck :)
KSK

·
Mcccli
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers.

Also re: clutch and flywheed; I dont have model numbers - found the receipts and the clucth was about $700 (Xtreme) and the flywheel was 5.2kg aluminium.
I got it done at SA Brake and Electrical - 08 8231 2633 if you wanna ring them and askt them about what will fit over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts