• No. With new technology restored cars can be better than factory

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Gunner_Boone said:
Is that RRS stuff you got, XCGXL? No notable performance increase in handling?
Nope just the Hoppers big brake conversion, Waste of time.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
4Vman said:
I personally wouldn't change anything other than internal engine stuff on my classics, part of the enjoyment of owning a classic musclecar is wrestling the heavy steering and the wallowy suspension or crap brakes! its all part of the classic experience!
ive got a modern BAXR8 that has all the good stuff on it!!!
My GXL has all the good stuff on it. Auto, Air, steer, power windows, Marquis power seat bases, remote central locking, 4 wheel disks. If I wanted to I could fit front struts, rack and pinion steering and coil overs on the rear. It will just about outrun a new XR8 as well but could use an overdrive cause it will nowhere near keep up on fuel economy! It doesnt have ABS (which is only needed for non-driver panickers) or airbags (which were only invented because the yanks are too fat or too arrogant to wear seatbelts), lol. It aint a GT but its one hell of a comfortable cruiser. I know a guy who doesnt like driving his XB GT because his MANUAL Holden Jackaroo is more comfortable to drive, :rofl:

·
Registered
221 Posts
xcgxl said:
It doesnt have ABS (which is only needed for non-driver panickers) or airbags (which were only invented because the yanks are too fat or too arrogant to wear seatbelts), lol.
Actually, arrogance has nothing to do with it. Try our DoT, NHTSA and lawyers. The safety laws on businesses are crazy over here. Car companies are held liable for just about everything and lawyers are allowed to advertize for "clients" for class-action lawsuits. Did you ever read about how many changes had to be made to the Monaro to sell it up here as a GTO? Also, the mini and micro cars sold everywhere else in the world will not meet our 7mph bumper laws OR the side-impact laws. The current Falcon would meet the front-end crash testing but the poly fuel tank would not and the 5.4 would not met the upcoming 2006/2007 emission laws for cars. The 5.4 is currently only used in trucks up here as the emissions laws are a little looser on those. As for too fat, the World Health Organization rated the US as having 65.7% of males overweight in 2001/2002. The Australian government posted the results from their official obesity study in 2000 as 68% of Aussie males were overweight. So, in the end, over 2/3 rds of males in both our countries need to push away from the table......

--J

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
XAFALCONGS said:
Actually, arrogance has nothing to do with it. Try our DoT, NHTSA and lawyers. The safety laws on businesses are crazy over here. Car companies are held liable for just about everything and lawyers are allowed to advertize for "clients" for class-action lawsuits. Did you ever read about how many changes had to be made to the Monaro to sell it up here as a GTO? Also, the mini and micro cars sold everywhere else in the world will not meet our 7mph bumper laws OR the side-impact laws. The current Falcon would meet the front-end crash testing but the poly fuel tank would not and the 5.4 would not met the upcoming 2006/2007 emission laws for cars. The 5.4 is currently only used in trucks up here as the emissions laws are a little looser on those. As for too fat, the World Health Organization rated the US as having 65.7% of males overweight in 2001/2002. The Australian government posted the results from their official obesity study in 2000 as 68% of Aussie males were overweight. So, in the end, over 2/3 rds of males in both our countries need to push away from the table......

--J
I was discussing the re-designing of The Monaro for the U.S market with my year 7 Design and Technology class before lunch..XC Falcon bumpers were designed to meet the 7MPH crash laws in anticipation of them being introduced here i the late 70s.:teach:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I reckon restore the car as well as you can, keep the blackouts satin though, thats original. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on lowering. I reckon a coupe will look a little better slightly lowered. Is it alright to lower a Genuine GT coupe. How about an XY GT for that matter. I saw an XY GS pretty much lower to the $hit and I have to say it looker really really nice.

On a pretty pointless note, anyone seen a yellow XC raised about 6 inches and with a bullbaw on it driving around glenroy? That things got more ground clearance than my 4WD.

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
73falcongt said:
I reckon restore the car as well as you can, keep the blackouts satin though, thats original. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on lowering. I reckon a coupe will look a little better slightly lowered. Is it alright to lower a Genuine GT coupe. How about an XY GT for that matter. I saw an XY GS pretty much lower to the $hit and I have to say it looker really really nice.

On a pretty pointless note, anyone seen a yellow XC raised about 6 inches and with a bullbaw on it driving around glenroy? That things got more ground clearance than my 4WD.

i reckon any mod is up to the owner. i prefer period correct mods like those used in racing; sports steering wheels with deep dish, bbs (or simmons) wheels like on moff's '77 winning xc, braid on hoses, a bit of chrome etc.
sometimes gets boring when checking out rows upon rows of exactly the same engine bays, wheels, interiors etc.
those fat a$$ed coupes are a shocker without 10" of meat under them, lowering goes without saying.
if it's a trailer queen you don't need suspension anyway.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
nak302 said:
i reckon any mod is up to the owner. i prefer period correct mods like those used in racing; sports steering wheels with deep dish, bbs (or simmons) wheels like on moff's '77 winning xc, braid on hoses, a bit of chrome etc.
My exterior bodywork is 100% stock with all the GXL tinsle. New B45s 16s in place of Globes! I also have period style VDO gauges, (they made the same ones for 30 years!) and a deep dish SAAS leather wheel, and (groan) Aunger rear louvre to keep the sun off my seats. Other then some braid/gold and chrome rocker covers and air cleaner my engine bay is stock as a rock with all the original gear in its original place + ceramic coated manifold and extractors. The only thing that is different is the coil has been mooved to under the battery. I am fitting a set of BA thermos soon though. (Dont you just love my belt driven supercharger?? -refer to defects post for an explanation, lol) Interior is getting re trimmed as original except for the gauges and wheel. Theres a couple of pics in my gallery.

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
xcgxl said:
My exterior bodywork is 100% stock with all the GXL tinsle. New B45s 16s in place of Globes! I also have period style VDO gauges, (they made the same ones for 30 years!) and a deep dish SAAS leather wheel, and (groan) Aunger rear louvre to keep the sun off my seats. Other then some braid/gold and chrome rocker covers and air cleaner my engine bay is stock as a rock with all the original gear in its original place + ceramic coated manifold and extractors. The only thing that is different is the coil has been mooved to under the battery. I am fitting a set of BA thermos soon though. (Dont you just love my belt driven supercharger?? -refer to defects post for an explanation, lol) Interior is getting re trimmed as original except for the gauges and wheel. Theres a couple of pics in my gallery.

what you've done there xcgxl is what i'm on about. you've personalised your car without going over the top. looks very nice. what size rims did you put on the rear? those new b45's look sweet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm feel the same way as others here, don't like show ponies but that doesn't necessarily mean that a GT shouldn't be restored to factory original, afterall they are a collectors item which = $$$$$$

As for non GT Fords, well one can modify as much as they like.....as long as they don't put other brand parts in their Fords.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thanks guys, Im real happy with it too. Its been a long time coming, and it still aint completely finished. Rims are 16x8" with 245/45 Goodyear Eagle F1s all round. I have this thing about being able to swap the tyres around to get the most wear out of them. 245 was the biggest I was prepare to put on the front. Now I think I went a little too big.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
JG33 said:
I'm feel the same way as others here, don't like show ponies but that doesn't necessarily mean that a GT shouldn't be restored to factory original, afterall they are a collectors item which = $$$$$$

As for non GT Fords, well one can modify as much as they like.....as long as they don't put other brand parts in their Fords.
Do my Commodore front disks count??

·
Registered
639 Posts
xcgxl said:
Do my Commodore front disks count??
Why on earth would you put Dunnydore disks in a Ford? Do they actually fit? Are they bigger?

I was thinking more of major components like engines and gearboxes something like hot rodders do....it's just plain wrong.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
brenx said:
No wonder it makes stuff all difference! Commo's aren't renouned for their brakes.

Brenden
Neither are XR8s, same brakes.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
I don't agree with being so precious over a car you don't drive it, but each to their own. I think it is a bit silly when bonnet blackouts are painted gloss, it goes against the reason they are there - to reduce glare.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
it doesn't matter whether the bonnets gloss/satin or just the same color of the paint. It'll still reflect sun glare in your face. The only way to avoild sun glare is to all drive around in matt colored cars. In an old style car theres plenty of chrome to reflect anyway ;)

Brenden

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know a guy who restored an early mustang back to concours condition in every detail, it was faultless. When he got it back from the paint shop, the paint ($10k+) was a mirror finish and also faultless. He told them to do it again because the original paint had orange an peel finish.

·
Jesse
5 Posts
In my humble opinion...
I have 2 xy's, both with original engine numbers. One is a factory original 4wd ute, absolute magic and a real beast... keeps my arms strong. I would never consider changing anything on it except for the tyres.
The other is a "Tow pack" 250 2v wagon, which originally came out with a top loader, 9", and Hayman-Reese towbar. This is the one I have modified extensively, including a T-5, disc brake 9", a motor that will drag off a 302, much more... I can't wait until I have enough money to install the full RRS fruit, including the under-dash brake booster, and the aluminium head based on the Aussie 2v (six cyl.) Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home. These heads were developed by Yanks, but are actually cast in Melbourne (Call John at CHI on (03)9583-5725).
I have driven both cars all over Australia, and both are maintained as they should be. It's just that one of them is too rare and specal to f**k with, and the other has no structural changes and could be returned to stock any time.
I don't really know what I'm trying to say, except just follow your heart.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts