Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I'm applying for a graduate program for 2005 with AFFA (Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries Australia) and if by the remote chance that I am accepted I will have to move to Canberra.

What's Canberra like as a place to live? Rental price on houses/units?

I know its pretty cold down there compared to Qld but HOPEFULLY I will get down there and am keen to learn about the place.

Training wage is $35K moving up to $45K upon completion after 10 months. Will be able to upgrade the ol EA or get something better...

Beats working in the banks. Did work experience with the National for a day and a half before I realised finance was boring to me and left.

Dan...

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Great place to live and work. Will require a bit of climatisation after coming down from QLD though! Rentals prices will depend on what part of Canberra you want to live, south, north or somewhere in between.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Agree with EBXR - great place to live and work, and full of great people like us! lol.

Average Rental is around $250 per week. Average house prices around $280k. Parking is free in a lot of places (AFFA included, from memory), but if you have to work in Civic, then you're looking at around $7 per day (which is cheap compared to Sydney & Melbourne).

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well AFFA is based in Barton I think however I don't know where that is...

Dan...

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barton appears to be around Capital Hill somewhere according to a map. Whats the roads like? I imagine they would be pretty good - I've head the city was designed and is not just urban sprawl like Syd and Melb...

Dan...

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
my younger brother lives there; Swinger Hill.. IMO it is very 'pocketed'.. ie: a few suburbs in a group with a hub.. the rent is alot more than anything in Qld, comparable to the Gold Coast.. And crazy weather.. it was 13 deg, sunny with a chilly wind one day and then next day it was 29... When i was there, there were lots of young homeless people in the city, wether its like that all the time i don't know..

·
3,666 Posts
Roads are fantastic. I work in Barton. Currently thre are a lot of residential appartments going up at the moment in Barton and Kingston(next suburb).

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tibbo said:
When i was there, there were lots of young homeless people in the city, wether its like that all the time i don't know..
My dad said that when he was there for the Canberra Show. He goes most years for the woodchopping. Bit of a shock for a country boy he said. And a bit sad.

Anyway if I end up going there then I should be on $690 p/w before tax ($550 after tax) so hopefully I could afford to live...

Dan...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
AP was born and bred there. It's pretty good overall except there's next to nothing for car enthusiasts.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Good place to be in the first weekend of January... hehehe!!! :hy:

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the first week in January??

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhh now I understand.... Very nice...

Dan....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gday Axeman

I have lived in canberra since 98, moved here from port mac on the mid north coast (in june by the way, very cold :). It is a great place to live, good roads, shops and a bit to do around the place, all I need to do is find some decent takeaway shops, ideas anyone?

I tis also only 1.5 hours down to the coast if ya miss the beach to much as I did :)

Warra

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all..

Sounds like it might be a really good place.. I am hoping that I'll get accepted and get down there for the next new year in time for Summernats... My gf's grandparents live in Tumut so she is pretty excited too about a change of location...

But that'll mean one falcon and one commodore comes down cancelling each other out...

Dan...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey EB XR

I live in Charnwood, belco side what about you? By the way I am a mad mustang fanatic too (will never own one :(, awe well the joys of bringing up a family :)

Warra

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i lived there for years when i was a teenager/with a job was great.
but honestly its awesome to live it aint as busy as sydney but is still a huge place to get around(A.C.T)everything is basically there,only problem would be the climate you will near freeze your testicals off,its cold fog/snow sometimes that type of weather.
just like when i moved from there to qld it took me ages because of the heat,so yeah 4-8 weeks your right..
honestly if i ever moved again canberra 100% for sure..

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
and the roads,nothing like qld n nsw at least most are perfect n smooth..

damn bumpy nsw roads*grrr*
yes the nats you'll love it,wont cost ya as much on petrol etc

mate you'll fit right in..

·
3,666 Posts
Warrawump said:
Hey EB XR

I live in Charnwood, belco side what about you? By the way I am a mad mustang fanatic too (will never own one :(, awe well the joys of bringing up a family :)

Warra
Hey Warra, I'm in Rivett. I grew up in Belco. Never say you will never own one... I'm doing the family thing too, and through a strange set of circumstances, it happened for me. Should hook up some time and talk cars!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts