Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to U-Haul and tried to rent a trailer and they would not let me rent one because they say there are to many problems with Exploerers and their trailers.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with every bell and whistle you could get back then. It has 300K miles on it. Anyway so what is the deal with trailers.

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
Why U-Haul® won’t rent trailers to some Ford Explorer models
If you’re planning to move a long distance in a Ford Explorer and are considering U-Haul for your move, there is a stipulation you should know about:

In order to rent a U-Haul trailer, the online form requires you to enter the make, model and year of the vehicle you’ll be using. If you state that you’ll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive the following statement:

“U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul — we have built our success for over 60 years by saying ‘yes’ to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.”

According to a U-Haul representative, the company only prohibits certain models of the Explorer from towing its trailers.

White Ford Explorer on showroom floor

Towing weight limitations

This regulation is based on the vehicle’s difference in body style. The 2011 and newer models have a lower center of gravity than the 2010 and older models. This means:

• If you’re using a Ford Explorer that is 2011 or newer, you can rent a U-Haul towing dolly or trailer.
  • If you’re using a Ford Explorer that is 2010 or older, you can’t rent a U-Haul towing dolly or trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just rented a trailer last year from Uhaul. Went from Sacramento, CA to Los Angeles, CA. It was a 12 ft enclosed trailer, yiwed behind my 02 Mountaineer AWD V8. No issues getting online reservation and when I picked up.

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
I just rented a trailer last year from Uhaul. Went from Sacramento, CA to Los Angeles, CA. It was a 12 ft enclosed trailer, yiwed behind my 02 Mountaineer AWD V8. No issues getting online reservation and when I picked up.
As post says , it only concerns ,

Why U-Haul® won’t rent trailers to some Ford Explorer models

1 - 7 of 7 Posts