Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the title suggests my car is not going at the moment. The other day I hit a gutter and bent the front left steering arm thingy. the wheel can only be turned right not left. there appears to be a connection where a thinner arm joins to a much thicker arm and that is where it is bent downwards (both arms have been bent down). going to try bash it back into place soon. has anyone got any other ideas for fixing this sort of problem? car is a 1991 series II ea falcon. I called up the local mechanic they said it could cost anywhere from $500 - $2000 if it is more than $600 im not gonna bother im gonna sell up and buy a *cringe* rx7.

Help me save the falcon Cheers

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Why cringe with the RX7? I've owned one (series 4) and it was a fantastic car. Parts were pretty expensive though...

How far to the local steering joint??? might be worthwhile having a yarn to them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill get some pics of the damage today sometime cheers

·
Registered
529 Posts
there is no way you could bend the forged lower control arm back correctly let alone bend it. It under goes so much force that it is forged for strength from the factory. You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand one from the wreckers for $80 tops.

You must have been doing some pretty stupid shit to bend the suspension that bad. I would get it checked properly to make sure none of the suspnsion pick up points are bent. If they are IMO you are just wasting money on a EA Falcon. You can get them for less than $1000 from the auction in good condition.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
hmm where have i heard this storey before........:/

ok it happened to me a while back, but I did a better job than you..lol. I replaced the following (off the top of my head);

upper and lower arms, stub axle, k-frame, ball joints (still need doing cos I need to find someone with a special tool), um...crap..I cant remember everything now. But its was basically the entire front end. It has costed me minimum $1500.

heres what happened to mine..a thread anyway.

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=45776

and....

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=55356

I know how it feels mate..I felt like the biggest dick because it all could of been avioded. Saying that my car hasn't felt as good as it does now so theres an up side.

My advice..shop around..TRUST ME..prices vary so much its not funny. Ask the wreckers aswell..I got a k frame installed for $300, originally I got quoted $500.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
if its a steering arm and the steering etc,i'd be going to a wreckers and buying parts there,or go buy a complete car for 3-400bucks..

if you get the parts(second your looking at no more then 100 bucks)(depends on wreckers) go new 5-6-700 bucks that price sounds like alot of $$$$$$ for labour..

shop around..

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
if its a tierod it wont cost much $17 new or something.

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
I did the same thing, when I had my ED 2 years ago.
I smashed into the kerb sideways and f'd up both my wheels,
the whole front-suspension setup and my rearaxle-shaft.
I just went to the wreckers and got a stabilizerbar, stub-
axle, upper & lower control-arm and just bought new balljoints and
tie-rods. I got the balljoints in by using a large socket connected
to a large ratchet-extension, then just bash the sucker with a
hammer. I know how you feel though, you think your car is
ruined, but it's actually quite easy to fix yourself. Don't forget
have a wheel-allignment done afterwards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts