Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2007 ford taurus and I recently had a mechanic come to my place to work on the vehicle. It was leaking coolant onto the exhaust manifold and I was getting a bunch of steam. He then replaced the waterpump. After replacing the waterpump I got another leak which the mechanic said was due to a bad timing cover gasket seal. So, I had him replace that. the leak was fine and now I am leaking transmission fluid all over the place looks like transmission pan is banged up really good and has a hole in it. With the leaking transmission fluid and the banged up pan I need to know why the vehicle won't change gears. It seems to always be in park or to always be in neutral but I can't get it to change into reverse or drive. I haven't driven the vehicle into anything like a sharp slope or a speed bump that could have caused the transmission pan damage and worry that the mechanic may have done the damage himself when taking the car for a test drive.

As for the vehicle not changing gears and the mechanic they have done some shotty work what do you recommend I do?
(P.S. I am going to get a code reader this afternoon.)

Regards,
DZ

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
If there is a transmission leak and the pan is all banged up I would think youre low on transmission fluid and thats why it wont move.

It might be in your best interest to get another mechanic. If your current one is honest he will own up to the pan (if he did it) and will fix it. Otherwise call around and go to another mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
What I would change next is your alleged " mechanic " , Dependant where and how bad damage to sump pan is , you could have internal damage . I have often had cars in with similar damage where the DIYer or " mechanic " have jacked up cars in wrong places / incorrectly and caused similar faults . Not uncommon for them to introduce faults that were not there beforehand . Cant say this is the case with your car but someone experienced looking at it may have a better opinion on this .Best of luck getting your " mechanic " to confess he caused it , if so .:LOL: . Usually find you will struggle with liability and comeback with this type of " mechanic " as opposed to a proper garage doing the work . Only my opinion in dealings with similar over the years , Good ones are like hens teeth but you do get the exception now and then

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
With a hole in the pan then it will be low on transmission fluid and most likely the reason for no drive.

Don't try and drive it as you may damage the transmission.

New pan and refill with fluid and you will likely be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts