Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has me completely dumbfounded and could use some help really bad. 02 focus at night while driving pushing on the accelerator stops my cxar from charging my lights start to dim and eventually everytghing will quit working, but if I let off the accelerator and coast , it will start charging and everything will come back on , as in speedo starts working , guages start working, radio comes back on etc.. Now whats really odd is this only occurs at nighttime even with headlights off it still drains the battery when i give it gas wether im driving or in park. Is there something on this vehicle that activates when its dark that has something to do with the throttle or what? Any help would be much appreciated here . Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Little more info here, the alt was replaced 3 weeks ago the batt replaced a week ago. Ive put a voltmeter on the battery while idling with lights on and got 13.8 volts so i dont think its my alt. Ive checked all tge wiring from battery to alt and starter no issues. Ive checked wiring to the fusebox from the battery and no issues there. checked all my grounds and all are clean and nice and secure. Btw its an se wagon with the 2.0 zetech dohc vin 3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So im happy to report that after weeks of scratching my head, a new 160$ alt and a new 140$ battery, the cause of the problem was *Drum Roll) one of my cooling fans shorting itself out!

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
Strange how it ties into the night driving , but if fixed that's what matters .Glad you got to the cause of problem , thanks for letting us know , might help others .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts