Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr 3D
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...I know this isnt about a ford but I thought you guys might be able to help anyway...

My corolla (1988 Corolla CS AE82) is doing some weird stuff at idle.....it will start to idle then drop out, like almost die then start to idle fine again...it just keeps doing this...kinda sounds like it has a lump cam...lol....anyway, I thought it might be the idle screw first....tried that and it worked but I had to have the car idling really high so I turned it back down....I then went to the fuel filter and replaced it....still nothing.....I have cleaned out the carby also by getting it to back fire a couple of times...(a trick my mates dad showed me...always worked for his old XD).....but its still doing it....so...before I take into a shop I just wanna see if there is anything I have missed....

The engine is a 1600 4-cyl carby....and its in good nick....car drives fine once going...and there isnt any smoke....

Sipheren

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
The old 'rolla knows there might be Fords on the street and it's nervous.

Seriously, check for vacuum leak at distributor advance (most likley), partially broken low tension wires inside distributor, tracking inside distributor cap, correct mixture (tune up time?) and loose distributor mount. Also enter "hunting idle toyota" and "erratic idle toyota" into Google for perhaps another 101 possibilities.

·
Registered
354 Posts
check your engine fuse also

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
If it has an automatic choke or idle motor, this could be it as well :)

·
Mr 3D
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...thx...I am going to check the timeing and go over the vacum hoses...hopefully that will help...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts