Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ford members.
This is a new one on me.
We bought a used 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid.
We have had it for just over two months and my wife's (her daily driver) only complaint (until today) is the height of the front passenger seat.
I know, a different thread, and I have read it and thank all that made that thread possible.

My problem/question is this:

Problem, the car starts itself, It has happened twice. It happened today when my wife and niece went shopping. Both times the car started, it was in a populated parking lot. The first time my wife was alone. Today, after they went into the mall, my niece remember she left her purse in the car, so she took the keys, unlocked the car, reached in and got her purse, closed and locked the door with the FOB. 10 minutes later my wife went out and the car was running (the gas engine). The dash said "Turn key to drive", or something close to that.

When we bought the car the dealer gave us two factory key fob's and two after market remote start key fobs. Both remote start key fobs are in the house. We don't use them so they are in the filing cabinet in our home office.

Question:
Is it possible that another person with some electronic device, or another car with remote start, was used close to our Fusion and that activated the remote start in our car? There must be only a certain number of frequencies.

Question:
Can I just disconnect a wire, or a fuse so this won't happen again? The maybe in the winter I would reconnect it so she could pre- heat her car after work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Emery

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really try not to have this happen, ask a question on a forum, only to get the answer shortly afterwards from another source.
Before I posted this thread, I googled "Car starts by itself" and got hundreds of hits.
My niece just got home and she said that she googled something else (I can't remember what she said she googled) and she said the answer she got was to click the LOCK button on the key fob 5 times fast.
My wife and I did not believe her so we went outside and my wife clicked the lock button on the fob 5 times, and the dash board came up with the box "Turn key to drive car" and then the gas engine started.
Who knew?
We asked my niece why she would press the lock button so many times and she said she is a little OCD. Good to know.
I know this sounds weird, but if any other Fusion owners, with or without a remote starter (although I am betting that it will only happen on cars with a remote starter) would try this and see if it works for them, it might be nice to know.
Just saying.
LOL, we keep learning things about this car that are kinda weird to me.

·
Administrator
8,327 Posts
Thank you Emery, for posting back and letting us know. I'm glad you were able to solve this mystery. I'm sorry we couldn't have been more help to you here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow Ford members.
This is a new one on me.
We bought a used 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid.
We have had it for just over two months and my wife's (her daily driver) only complaint (until today) is the height of the front passenger seat.
I know, a different thread, and I have read it and thank all that made that thread possible.

My problem/question is this:

Problem, the car starts itself, It has happened twice. It happened today when my wife and niece went shopping. Both times the car started, it was in a populated parking lot. The first time my wife was alone. Today, after they went into the mall, my niece remember she left her purse in the car, so she took the keys, unlocked the car, reached in and got her purse, closed and locked the door with the FOB. 10 minutes later my wife went out and the car was running (the gas engine). The dash said "Turn key to drive", or something close to that.

When we bought the car the dealer gave us two factory key fob's and two after market remote start key fobs. Both remote start key fobs are in the house. We don't use them so they are in the filing cabinet in our home office.

Question:
Is it possible that another person with some electronic device, or another car with remote start, was used close to our Fusion and that activated the remote start in our car? There must be only a certain number of frequencies.

Question:
Can I just disconnect a wire, or a fuse so this won't happen again? The maybe in the winter I would reconnect it so she could pre- heat her car after work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Emery
Thank you for letting us know about pressing the LOCK button 5 times fast. I own a 2007 Ford Fusion with remote entry but no fob and definitely no self starting feature or start button. My wife and I were at the store today, when she went out to the car to wait for me and she called me on the phone telling me that the car turned on by itself (she's also very compulsive). I thought it was maybe an electrical problem. But after reading your post I couldn't believe it was just that, so I went out to my Ford Fusion and gave it a try. I pressed the button 5 times fast and "voila" , it started right up without me even touching the car. Yeah, who knew. You would think someone would tell you these things. ? Lol
Thank You very very much for letting us know! I was beginning to think the car had big problems. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts