Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my EB the radio antenna was snapped off, reception was OK on FM, couldn't get AM (didn't want to listen to Golden Mouldies anyhow:D ) so I didn't worry about it until last week when I purchased an aftermarket aerial to put in. Connected it all up and reception is still no better!:( What gives? Unit is a Pioneer CD/Super Tuner if that makes a difference.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Have you checked the earth??

Check both the aerial earth and head unit earth.......

Just a point, when i had my EL XR8 with an aftermarket unit in my reception was also crap.....no probs with AU though.

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
The Pioneer Supertuner should be good - i've got one in the EB and also had to replace the aerial - works well.

Check the antenna connection going into the head unit - see if its properly inserted. If that isnt the problem - then like XLR8 says check the earths and follow the antenna cable to the actual antenna - seeing if anythings loose.

This may be a long shot but if the unit is imported from japan - they dont have the same radio frequencies as us so you wont be able to pick up AM frequencies at all, FM should be OK though.
(as i said just a long shot :) )

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled half the dash out yesterday arvo (missed the first 15 mins of V8 Superstars :cussing:) to check the aerial connections and they seem OK. If the earth leads were crook wouldn't this affect the CD as well?:confused:
If I press the BSM button it automatically tunes in to the local AM stations but you hear only static with very faint music.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Shouldnt affect CD. The unit has a good enough earth for power. The tuner in your headunit would be stronger and more sensitive so a poor earth can cause poor radio reception.

Is the body clean where aerial mounts???

Some early model Falcons suffered "reflection" from the bonnet, this caused some reception problems and was fixed with an earth strap from bonnet to body.....i think it was more XE's XF's etc....

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uuuum, a mate of mine, a sort of backyard self-taught stereo installer, mechanic by trade though. It appears to have only two self tapper screws holding the unit in, it sort of slides into the dash and is supported by a built in rail thingy (technical term!). The car stereo shop fitted all the other stuff like speakers, amps etc.
Also there is another intermittent problem that happens, sometimes if a good song comes on you want to crank it up right, or change the channel if a crappy one comes on. Sometimes when you press the button the unit turns itself off for a few seconds and then comes back on. Can be quite annoying! :cussing: It's one of those detachable face jobs, could the connections in that be dodgy, any ideas?
XLR8 said:

Is the body clean where aerial mounts???

Some early model Falcons suffered "reflection" from the bonnet, this caused some reception problems and was fixed with an earth strap from bonnet to body.....i think it was more XE's XF's etc....
WTF!!!:confused:

The aerial sits on the mudguard and it has paint on it (of course), you don't mean I have to scrape the paint off I hope! How do you open the bonnet if you have an earth strap on it?

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
If you've got the sort of aerial that has a metal bracket which sits under the guard and which is forced up onto the guard when you tighten the outer nut, get some steel wool or sandpaper (about 180 grit should be right) and rub around the inside of the guard where the foot goes to ensure good contact with the metal. Just put it on the end of your index finger and rub around inside with firm contact. Do the top of the bracket as well. Also ensure that the nut is tight - I've had intermittent reception problems in past with nut that seemed tight but wasn't forcing good contact. But don't break it!

This worked on my XF, but I don't know if the EA onwards have the same setup inside the guard. If it's a different setup, find the point where the aerial contacts the body (it won't be on the outside painted surface) and clean up the contact areas the same way.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
WTF!!!:confused:

The aerial sits on the mudguard and it has paint on it (of course), you don't mean I have to scrape the paint off I hope! How do you open the bonnet if you have an earth strap on it? [/B][/QUOTE]

what do you mean WTF???

You ask for advice and then say WTF!!!.....work it out for yourself mate;)

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Falchoon said:
Also there is another intermittent problem that happens, sometimes if a good song comes on you want to crank it up right, or change the channel if a crappy one comes on. Sometimes when you press the button the unit turns itself off for a few seconds and then comes back on. Can be quite annoying! :cussing: It's one of those detachable face jobs, could the connections in that be dodgy, any ideas?

This seems to happen quite a bit with the detachable face units. I've got an Alpine deck that will do the same thing if its not making contact properly. Not a drama, just make sure you attach it right and should be alright.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by XLR8

what do you mean WTF???

You ask for advice and then say WTF!!!.....work it out for yourself mate;) [/B]

I appreciate everyones advice and ideas I don't understand what you mean by "reflection" from the bonnet.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Falchoon said:

I appreciate everyones advice and ideas I don't understand what you mean by "reflection" from the bonnet.
Although I don't know about the specific reflection problem mentioned, radio signals can be reflected by a car's external surfaces, which is why the ideal place for an aerial used to be in the centre of the roof where it got pretty much equal reflection from 360 degrees. About the worst place for it was far out on one side of the car and below the turret, which is exactly where most aerials have always been fitted for cosmetic and ease of fitting reasons rather than technical reasons. I don't know if modern aerials or radio equipment are less sensitive to this.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
I would have a good look at the earth point for the amp, maybe try to relocate it to another possition and make sure it is a good contact.

Also make sure earth on block has not started to brake.

Ummm, oh yeah power cable to amp, is it running along side of your speaker wires, ie power cable from battery should be on opp side of speaker cables

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
interferance...

Does the noise in the reception change if you rev the motor?? Antennas normally will earth themselves out through the head unit. When most people install an aftermarket head unit they hook it up the orginal power wires in the car. This can cause interferance as the earth will generally be shared with other things in the car. I've always run new wires from the battery to head unit using a relay to get the accessory feed to it. If you're after a quick fix though, try running a new earth from the head unit to a clean point on the body.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yes may have been fitted without earth on head unit,relying on antenna earth only.Sugestion some graphite grease does wanders to earth,antenna under guard connections and keeps all the gunk out as well as rust .

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
A few cars have had aerial mounts on the roof..

My Skyline has it on the roof. Best place for it I reckon, and no need for a electric one. Also looks more V8 supercarish.

As I recall, didn't the 300+ have a aerial mounted on the roof too?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It turns out apparently that the aerial was "broken" internally. :confused: I thought an aerial was fairly low tech, just a lead from your radio to a piece of metal mounted on your car pointing to the sky. Car stereo place stung me another $60 to fit new one (I'm sure it's the same brand as the $17 one it replaced:fmad:).
Those that are regulars here will probably know that I recently purchased a stacker unit with radio/cassette controller, a Pioneer unit #1015. I bought it on special at a shop on the other side of town for a bargain $150 cheaper than the closer shop, well worth the $5 to drive out there I thought. I sold the existing Pioneer single-in-dash head unit yesterday and this was going to pay for the install and have a few bucks left over. Wrong! :fmad: Car stereo shop rang to say wiring was all farked up and it would cost an extra $60. I knew that this was probably true because my mate had installed it on the cheap for me and he had to chop some of the wires when he did it. Ok, I said, cursing :cussing:at my mate under my breath. They rang back an hour or so later to say the aerial was farked too, another $60 thanks. Picked the car up after work, gave the guy the shirt off my back and cruised home. Now the goddamn sonofabeep farking :cussing:stereo makes a loud click noise through the speakers when you turn the car on or off or change radio stations.:fmad: Took the car back this morning and they now say that this head unit isn't really suited to running 2 amps or 6 channels (splits in front, 6x9 and sub in rear). He waffled on with techno mumble jumble about Mosfett chips and said he might be able to get around it using some RCA converter thingumyjig (looks sorta like Brocky's Polariser, probably does as much too:thumbdown), another $69.95 plus fitting thanks. Apart from all the abovementioned dramas I reckon it doesn't sound as good as the old unit, I guess it'll take some time to adjust all the settings. It doesn't seem as loud or have the fill, kinda hard to explain, the car stereo bloke just gives me blank looks when I try and tell him.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems the "click" problem is fixed, the polariser did the trick!:cool: They only charged $44, cheaper than the $69.95 first quoted. The problem seemed to be that the head unit I bought only had one RCA output(?) and to run two amps I really needed a unit with two. The cheapest (Pioneer) radio/cassette that has this is around *choke* $750, but a cheaper alternative is a single cd-in-dash controller for around $350. You learn by experience that it pays to talk to an expert about these things first before rushing out to the nearest discount store for a "bargain".:rolleyes: This RCA converter thingamy is a cheaper compromise, but is not always guaranteed to work though. Fingers crossed it stays working for me!:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts