Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is `96 NF fairlane,ignition on dash lights & instruments are on turn key,relay in fuse panel under dash clicks in,but starter solonoid is not activated,its happened about 8 times in recent weeks & mainly on hot days,had a new starter fitted but the problem is still there,I`ve been able to get it started after say 5-10 minutes ofted by tapping the fuse box under the bonnet near the battery,but this is not instant,very frustrating.
Anybody have same experience,and what is happening.greatly appreciate any help.

It`s a 6 cyl. with 145000kms in good nick.
Keithie

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Is it a V8, does the starter actually go click, or just nothing at all, I would possibly suggest you carry a spray bottle of water, and next time it doesnt start, wet the starter motor down to cool it, only if a V8 though, a 6 should be ok.

Jason

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Could be the neutral safety switch on the way out. You said hot days, does this only happen on a restart after driving for a while?, or does it do it when the day is hot but the engine is cold? or both?

cheers:beer:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dellboy999 said:
Is it a V8, does the starter actually go click, or just nothing at all, I would possibly suggest you carry a spray bottle of water, and next time it doesnt start, wet the starter motor down to cool it, only if a V8 though, a 6 should be ok.

Jason
Hi Jason,it`s a 6cyl with 145000km on the speedo,I`d try the spray trick if I could see the starter,it`s on the passenger side somewhere under the manifold,might see what ford think. Keithie

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
keithie said:
Hi Jason,it`s a 6cyl with 145000km on the speedo,I`d try the spray trick if I could see the starter,it`s on the passenger side somewhere under the manifold,might see what ford think. Keithie
if it is a 6 it should not get that hot under there and cause a problem, but i can say that fords with the 6 cyl up to the au at least all take the same starter motor, i have an au starter motor in my ea was previously in my xf before i got rid of it.

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts