Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was rewiring my existing stereo as I bought some higher-quality wiring (Lightning Audio). I disconnected my battery (negative side, then positive) and hooked everything up. After I had rewired my system I connected the battery back. However, when I went to start my car it wouldn't kick over.

I've checked the fuses on the inside of the car but they are all okay. The interior lights work, central locking works, parking lights work and indicators work. Even the stereo works (all when the iginition is set to "accessories"). What I have noted is that when I turn the headlights on to normal or high-beam, the whole dash lights up (battery indicator, park brake light etc).

I am assuming it's a fuse within the engine bay somewhere. How can I determine what it is? And can someone point out where the other fuses are? I'd rather I fix it than the RACV...

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd say it wasn't a fuse problem, as you say your dash lights up. I would suggest that you disconnect the battery again, and reconnect it after cleaning the teminals. The cars computer may want to be re-set, like all computers do sometimes. Also make sure the earth (neg) side of the battery is really clean. I presume yoy connected the right lead to the right teminal? If you want to loo at the main fuses, they are in the engine bay on the drivers side in a black box about 100mm long, above the wheel arch . The othe fuses are inside the car, drivers side, under a little cover down beside the right hand side of the steering wheel. You may also have a short curcuit somewhere.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have a look at the fuses both inside and outside. In regards to the fuses on the outside (driver's side), how do I determine if they are blown or not? They are little coloured cubes that I can't see if they are blown or not.

I will give the battery terminals a clean - I was going to try that also. What should I put over them afterwards?

Cheers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It could be the terminals shorting somewhere or not clean enough, The cars has a Short protection switch thing, It won't start if there is not enough charge, sometimes caused by not enough surface area of the terminals transferring charge...

The dash lights should be lighting up usually... Unless you have accidently pulled a cable out of your alternator? or wires are crossed somewhere...

"Useless helpful hint No 1."

·
XR Driver
184 Posts
Heh I had the same prob when i was playing with stereo wires :p

It was the fuse that says CRT LP I think thats for the central locking or Smart Lock???

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cleaned the terminals thoroughly... Didn't help. Got the same problem. It's strange - when I put the headlights on normally, the whole dash lights up like I said earlier. I think it's RACV time, although I don't think they would be too impressed that it was my fault! LOL!

On the plus side, my 6*9s sound pretty damn good!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check the earth lead from the body to the engine. I left that off one time after removing and refitting an engine. I had all sorts of problems, culminating in the fact that the engine wouldn't turn over on the starter, and all sorts of instrument problems. I had an auto elec. out, and he found the problem straight away: the earth lead. So I would check the earth points, maybe you disturbed one when you were re-wiring?

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a possibility - can someone tell me where these earth points are? I know of one in the driver's footwell, but that one is fine.

I should also mention that I removed a handsfree kit - I may have disturbed something when I took that out...

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be the first to admit that I am the biggest idiot on the forums to this day... Went to bed last night thinking about what it could be, sure enough it was that tiny thing that made all the difference.

Stupid earth terminal... Started first time. :bang: :cen:

·
Registered
797 Posts
if the battery is still under the bonnet there should be two leads running from the batter, one to teh engine screwed to teh block somewhere behind the headers, ther other one should bolt straight to teh chassy. The starter motor has its earth on teh block. (note that are the connections on an AU but i assume they didnt change much ;) )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts