Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Probe GL and i cannot get it to start. I turn the key and the lights and heater and everything come on but it just gives me one single click, and nothing else, the enginedoesn't even attempt to turn over. This happened a few days back , i went under the hood and shook all the wires and it went, it actually started about 15 times after that, but no luck anymore. Does anyone here have any ideas, cause i am not very knowledgable under the hood. Thanks

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
one click?

Possible starter solenoid is what it sounds like to me.

Especially if everything else is coming on when you trun the key. For now it sounds if your battery is still okay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, i figured it was something to do with the starter, just find it strange that it started after it quit before

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Factory Alarm

If you have the factory alarm on the GL, you can turn all of the accessories on but not the car (even if your alarm is not turned on) because there is a starter kill switch located behind the hood that you have to press--OR you have to disarm the alarm system and it will start.
Just incase you did not know of this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its definetaly your starter, i had the exact same problem, my car wouldint start so i got mad and kicked my front tire and try to start again, sure enough it started LOL, and than month later same thing, so i tried kicking again, but no go, so i hit the starter couple of times with a stick, and yup it started again. when i got home i took the starter out, took the thing apart and cleaned the contact selenoids with contact cleaner, put it back together and i never have a problem with starting again :)

you should do the same(except kicking your car), take the starter out and clean the selenoid contacts, inless the selenoids are worn out then you might have to get new starter, but if they are good, just give them a good cleaning and it should work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey anyone out there ever replaced the starter on the 4 cylinder model? I am having a heck of a time getting to it, behind all those brackets, is it ok to take them off? Cause as far as i can see that is the only way to get to the starter. Any advice or experiences with this would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup i'v taken my starter out to clean it.

OK there are two brackets the Intake Manifold-to-Engine Bracket and the Transaxle-to-engine Bracket. and if your car is manual there also is the exhaust pipe bracket.

YES you can remove all the brackets, thats the only way to get to the starter. :) hope this helps

Happy New Year :)

·
turbo PGLer
46 Posts
Well, it's not the only way...
but by far the easiest. The bracket that goes up to the IM is just 2 nuts up top, and the lower bracket is about 4, and they conme right off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts