Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 Thunderbird with the original 429. One thing that concerns me is that the previous owner had been running it on LPG.
I have heard that extended LPG use can damage carburetors, is this valid? I should be picking the car up next week and in the mean time he is taking the LPG system off. I hope the carb is OK, when I looked at it, it wouldn't run on benzine since the electric fuel pump he had on wasn't working. I will probably be rebuilding the carburetor anyway, I just want to make sure it is the original Autolite still on there.
Another concern I have also regarding the carburetor is how it will run on E10. I have heard of people having problems with E10 causing their cars not to start. If this is true, I would think it has something to do with the specific gravity of the fuel mix being overall less than straight benzine and how it affects the float level. Would this be able to be compensated for by simply adjusting the float?

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
LPG has a tendency of drying out seals, engines have seals and soft parts made to resist this phenomenon. E10 is worse. If you plan on rebuilding, might want to see if you can find parts that are resistant to ethanol.

Here's an interesting read, make no claims on how good the product is.
Protect Yourself: Ethanol Is Killing Your Carburetor | Driven Racing Oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so LPG issue is pretty much the same as ethanol as far as drying out the lines and seals. Normally running E10 doesn't require any mods but it won't hurt to to make it ethanol compliant, could run E20 as well. E10 is the standard here with E20 and E85 becoming more and more available. Straight benzine is available but not very common.
I would still need to figure out the float, and thinking about it probably jets as well. Since ethanol has less energy, I would probably need to allow for more fuel to get into the combustion chamber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts