Ford Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled across this forum while researching carter thermoquads, one of which i have on my 1982 dodge b250 with a 318 engine. The carby seems to be leaking alot and running poorly. I want to buy a new one as I'm traveling the states in it and dont have the tools to do a referb. I have looked online but cant find one with the same numbers, do I have to get the same one?

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Could try here ,

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a street/strip carb, the TQ is THE best carb ever made. The Ford Aust versions used 1 3/8" primaries & are 800 cfm. Cfm is varied by sec throttle WOT position & air valve position. I have inspected lots of Ford TQs over the years, all were set up for close to max airflow, so I don't know where 600 cfm comes from....The 850 cfm TQs have larger primaries, 1 1/2". Chrysler used these on 360 engines, so very versatile. TQs were also used on Inter Trucks & BB Fords in the US. The QJ is rated at 50 cfm less; if you look at the QJ secondaries, it is more restrictive & I suspect that is where the flow difference comes from.
Carter also made Competition Series TQs, in 850 & 1000 cfm. Only made for a few years, now hard to find & expensive. I am lucky enough to own two of them. [ Not to be confused with the 9800 series ]
Carter looked at the QJ & said how can we make a good idea better...& they did! Two float bowls, no leaking plugs, easier adjustments. Many people erroneously think the phenolic centre section was done to save money. Nope, it keeps the fuel 20* F cooler. Less loss to evaporation etc.
The TQs fitted locally were right at the end of the carb era & were jetted increeeeeeeedibly lean. I ran one on my Dodge 440 & it just stopped in 2nd gear. Went home, drilled out the secondaries, & presto, instant performance increase. Some Ford TQs came with 098 sec jets, smaller than the primaries!!! In comparison, Chrys TQs often came with 137 or 143 sec jets. One of the reasons for the small Ford sec jets [ apart from killing performance ] is they use a smaller air bleed.
If you have a Ford TQ, drill the sec jets to 0.125" [ 1/8" ]....& hang on!
Holley have copied the TQ, calling it the Street Demon. [ Hmm, didn't copy the Edelbrock! ] Poorly made & designed, not as good as the TQ. If you want performance, use the TQ.
Carter/Edel AFB/AVS cars are also excellent.
If you want poor throttle response & you want to help Caltex's profits, fit a Holley....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts