Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah as you might be aware i've fitted a pedders castor camber kit for my wagon (shim adjustment ones), seems to improve handling and i can dial abit of negative camber to the front end.

What i'm womndering is can i start playing around with the catsor angle as the product suggests, or am i just stuck to camber adjustments.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
if it's only shim ajustment i dont think you can. The castor rod is fixed and not adjustable. Actually i tell a lie, by putting more shims on one side it would adjust the caster but would also effect the camber at the same time. Caster isn't really something that needs to be adjusted anyway, mainly just camber and toe.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:
if it's only shim ajustment i dont think you can. The castor rod is fixed and not adjustable...
WTF:dead:

...Actually i tell a lie, by putting more shims on one side it would adjust the caster but would also effect the camber at the same time...
Ah! That better.:s2: Equal shims front & back changes camber, more or less shims front than back will alter the angle of the upright when viewed from the side of the car = castor change.

...Caster isn't really something that needs to be adjusted anyway, mainly just camber and toe.
:crazy1: WRONG!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweeet, well i've booked my baby for a caliper re-build at my local suspension place, i'll ask them to see if they can adjust muck around with the castor for better handling.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I actually found that dialling in castor had the effect of making the steering get VERY heavy with a load in the rear - I probably went too far though. Also you'll get wear on both inside and outside shoulders with a fair bit of caster. The effect on actual handling wasn't as noticeable as I expected. Now I've just got a tad more than std (ie. as opposed to as much as possible).

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
I had one of those fitted to my AUII to improve straight line stability.

It used to go all over the road. sicne I put the new tyres on. (Wheel alignment didnt fix it)

The Shims didnt appear to affect my handling in any way. And if they did, i propably didnt notice!

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
More positive castor will have the effect of aiding straight line stability at the expense of steering effort, that is will get heavier. Modest increase of positive castor will not usually be noticeable with power-steering.:sleep:

Incorrect toe-in/out will also cause the car to wander. Can also be caused by a change of tire/wheel size if the offset moves the tires contact patch in/out.:eek:o1:

Note also, raising/lowering the rear of the car independant of the front has the effect of changing front castor.:crazy1:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RAPTOR said:
More positive castor will have the effect of aiding straight line stability at the expense of steering effort, that is will get heavier. Modest increase of positive castor will not usually be noticeable with power-steering.:sleep:

Incorrect toe-in/out will also cause the car to wander. Can also be caused by a change of tire/wheel size if the offset moves the tires contact patch in/out.:eek:o1:

Note also, raising/lowering the rear of the car independant of the front has the effect of changing front castor.:crazy1:
Thats the step i'm aiming towards, i wouldn't mind abit more straight line stability because the negative camber takes some of the straightline stability.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
"Note also, raising/lowering the rear of the car independant of the front has the effect of changing front castor."

- Yep, that's exactly what I meant - ie. too much castor really exacerbates the effect to a huge degree!

EF_Falcon_Guy, I honestly really wouldn't place too much expectation on what results you'll achieve with increased castor - probably the best thing to do would be to sus out the Whiteline site and get the alignment specs they use for your car then have your suspension place set it up like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts