Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just a quick query regarding the new work ute I've got into.
It's a Factory straight gas Falcon XL one tonner.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if it runs gas only, why is there a Cat converter? I thought they were only for filtering all the nasty crap out of our much beloved Unleaded petrol.
Should it be there?
Russell.:eek:o1:

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Cats have no effect on gas cars. In fact running straight gas damages the cats over time. You can only legally remove the cats if your petrol system is clearly disconnected.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas, I thought that was the case EDXR8.
Being a factory straight gas car with no normal fuel system whatsoever. eg: lines/rails/tank I can't see why it should be there. Get rid of it and put a nice muffler on it...that's the go I reckon.
Russell.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Rastus said:
Thanks fellas, I thought that was the case EDXR8.
Being a factory straight gas car with no normal fuel system whatsoever. eg: lines/rails/tank I can't see why it should be there. Get rid of it and put a nice muffler on it...that's the go I reckon.
Russell.
Yeah get rid of it, it's not needed at all for gas. It's probably there coz the factory only has one exhaust system that they use.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Rastus said:
Should it be there?
Russell.:eek:o1:
I checked this with Vicroads a few months back.

If the car can run on petrol, i.e. petrol only or dual fuel, it has to comply with all emission controls including cat if it's unleaded.

If the car can run only on gas, there are no emissions standards for gas because it's apparently too hard to come up with them, so you can do what you like, which is why a lot of unleaded cars are converted to gas as part of a legal performance build up.

There's a slight problem in that, strictly, any car which is modified in any way from the manufacturer's specs (i.e. usually the way it left the factory) can be declared unroadworthy, but I don't know if it would be applied in light of there being no need for a cat on gas.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jase_ELXR8 said:

Yeah get rid of it, it's not needed at all for gas. It's probably there coz the factory only has one exhaust system that they use.
I bet ya that's exactly the reason for it being there. One exhaust system for all stocky Falcon 4.0 utes.
I'll look at getting it taken out. One friend told me that apparently they are hard to tune if it's gone but that wasn't from his experience, it was someone he knew. We'll see.
Thanks all once again,
Russell.:s2:

·
Australian EF XR6 Member
155 Posts
Cat Details

In post 86 car even straight Gas cars require a cat, though if converted from perol to straight gas, all of the other emmisions gear can be junked. On pre 86 cars if straight gas is run no emmision equipment is required, though this does not apply to duel fuel cars. This is the reason that my 545 ci big block resides in a 84 XE falcon ute

1 - 8 of 8 Posts