Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Crown Vic here with 305k miles, and today my engine light comes on. Scan at the local Advanced comes up with 4 codes on the cat converter. Guy says I need to get something called Cataclean and run it through the gas tank to correct the problem.

Is it worth doing this...will it make the engine run better or get better gas mileage?

Should I use Cataclean or some other product to get this done?

·
Administrator
8,180 Posts
Moved to the Crown Vic section. Please scroll down the main forum list and find the appropriate section for any vehicle questions. The Pub section is a general discussion area and no vehicle questions will be answered there. Thanks, Admin :hy:

·
Super Moderator
836 Posts
What codes is it throwing? Ive never heard of that stuff but I doubt it works. Sometimes if a cat gets clogged you can tap it with a hammer while the engines running to loosen up the crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
A lot of people swear by it , others consider it as snake oil . i'm of the latter opinion . No additive can repair a failed catalytic converter, but they can clean deposits from a functioning converter and help restore its efficiency.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it took so long to get back. The check engine light went off but it came back on yesterday so I got the codes read again. Guy's machine read 4 codes but said they were all the same code...P0430.

I'm game for the lacquer thinner option I've been hearing about. I see low voc lacquer thinner for sale. Wonder if it matters which version you use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts