Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a Trouble Code saying Catalytic Insufficiency.....missed the numbers, but something says they came out as "generic. I have very close to 200K miles. I am scheduled to take it into a garage I use next week, and hoping I can get some ideas on what to expect, up and to including the replacement of the Converter. To make matters worse.....I was coming down a hill and "drifted" into my pickup....off to the Body Shop after the garage! Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
You'll probably be paying between $300-400 per cat (maybe more, I used Rock Auto, they may go OEM) and probably about a half day's worth of work. My guess is someplace north of a grand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation CatSkinner. Like you, I looked at RockAuto, but believe they will go OEM. I used the prices of Rock to get some base and figured close to a grand for labor or whatever else pops up. Luckily they are long time frends, the price is never one of those "gottcha" deals. Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Meant to get back sooner, but travel has delayed me. The Shop kept my car around for a month (they are friends), and they drove it, examined it, but couldn't get the Engine Light to come on and replicate the Code I received. So they said they couldn't find anything, but if it should occur again DO NOT ERASE THE CODE! So yesterday I took it to the Virginia Mountains to pick up my grandson from college.....total 760 miles, and it ran super. It averaged about 18.7mpg. I'll gladly accept it as a possible "fluke" with the Code, but like not shoveling out the bucks. CASE CLOSED!! Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FINAL RESOLVE.....Had the light come on, went in and it was the right side converter......replaced!. CatSkinner....$1078. i was there when the removed it, sensor, everything was crapped. Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
FINAL RESOLVE.....Had the light come on, went in and it was the right side converter......replaced!. CatSkinner....$1078. i was there when the removed it, sensor, everything was crapped. Ron

Ow... like I said, I used Rock Auto for a reference, and that was just the price of the cat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
CatSkinner
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing