Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the idea of taking out the centre console and putting a carpet mat just round the gear shifter, is this illegal to have no console and the shifter coming straight outa the ground????

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Hey mate, which state are you in? Your best bet is to ring up your RTA or equivalent to find out for sure. I'm interested in your motivations. Wouldn't the removal of the centre console make the interior of the car look ugly?

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah looks good, cheked it out wen i took out the console to paint it, i dont know if it will look good in a ef/el, it makes the interior look bigger and more racing style...

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
it would look odd because you have the selector gate 2" higher than the floor.So you will need to manufacter a cover for that keeping in mind that you MUST by law keep the gear selector light operational. You will also have to grind off the bracket that is spot welded to the floor for the rear screw mounts..You will not be able to run the rear vents so you will have to block them off in the dash. Big job and the factory carpets are notched out so you will have to 'patch' it in some similar carpet..

·
E-Series Acting VP
1,432 Posts
You could do it quite easily if you wanted to...

Just go to an auto carpet place, and get some new carpet... This should only cost you about $100. When you buy it, it won't have any holes cut in it, so it'll cover up the rear mounting bracket. You'll need to cut a hole for the gear selecter and make a cover for it (or buy another shifter (i.e. B&M)). And just use some duct tape to cover the vents.

As for the road noise, get some good quality sound deadening and it will eleiminate most of it. The hardest part will be the noise coming from around the gear selecter...

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Cant see why it wouldnt be legal, a lot of older cars didnt have a console. But on a newer car i dont think it would look too great.

·
Andy the Ambo
39 Posts
I hate my xf console can i swap it for a e-series of some sort :S

·
Registered
210 Posts
get rid of centre console? i love the centre console. it gives u that extra bit of space between u and ur passengers. plus where else could u rest the left arm whild driivng

1 - 14 of 14 Posts