Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EF has had a loud creak from the passenger-side front suspension for a while now (creaks over speed bumps, and moving from standstill). I had some of the bushes changed a few days ago(based upon others experiences with the same problem).. namely the inner bushes from the upper/lower arms. But the creak is back again, louder than before.... any thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
I've got a squeak in the back suspension on mine, I thought it was coming from the lower bush since it was shot. Got the upper and lower bushes replaced when I got new tyres a few weeks ago, but it hasn't fixed the squeak. It only happens when I'm driving over road reflectors etc... so I'm a bit baffled too..

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have a squeak in the back of my xr6 when i drive over small bumps , have been told it is the brakes sqeaking , have not done anything to try and fix it though.

J

·
0 Posts
Mike & Myxr6,

You squeek in the back is the pins for the rear calipers. You need to take the caliper off, clean the pins and put some moly greese on them...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Have you tried replacing the Ball joints?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm... ball joints... hadn't considered that. could be something to check.

mind you, the noise sounds kind of rubbery... and when the suspension hangs for a while (car on a hoist), the noise goes away for a day or two, which for some reason lef me to think it was bushes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi guys
has this car got a caster/camber kitif it has id say its that causing the noise its unlikly the ball joints are noisy but it is poss

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thinking back about my past love, a ZH Fairlane, code name the-tank. I remember the same thing happening. I had the bushes replaced, because it was squeaking and driving me crazy. The squeak went away for a while. Anyway it came back and I spoke to the mechanic again. He said that it's because the bushes are polyurethane, and they become dry in one spot, and near impossible to stop the squeak. He said they may be able to find another make, which doesn't squeak (not polyurethane), Otherwise he said to get under the car and to put a lubricant on them. It worked for awhile, but did come back in a few weeks, I guess it's something you'd need to do with that type of material?? Try asking what other types of bushes are available, I'd say it's definitely the bushes though. The squeak is a Ford signature, you've got to love it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i've found the problem.....

i popped the bonnet and gave the strut a bit of a press. the rubber at the top of the spring makes an almighty creak when compressed/released. anyone come across this problem before? the rubber does look to be a little worse for wear.. would my firmer springs have caused excessive wear of the rubber?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Boson,

At 95,000ks I had the shocks replaced (front and rear) on my wagon. The rubbers were cracked but did not creak. The shocks have a bumpstop rubber fitted also. I wouldn't think stiffer springs would cause the cracking but any rubber does break down over time.

Paul B

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok.. the saga continues..

after much driving around and trying to ascertain what the noise is, i have decided that although the rubber at the top of the spring is a bit creaky, it is definitely not the creak that is annoying me.

the creak seems to be coming not so much from the uspension, but more from somewhere below the A-pillar..... when i had a look under the wheel arch i noticed that the alignment of the crossmember/chassis on the passenger side wasn't sport on with the alignment on the drivers side.

could i have loose chassis bolts (does the EF even have chassis bolts in this region)? bear in mind the car does have nearly 200,000km on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts