Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Big Yellow Cruizer
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I may, I would like to know the following;
I am in the process (bought engine Cleveland 351) of changing my 1974 XB fairmont Coupe 250 6 With a C4 into a 351 clevo.
I do have a few, maybe silly, questions, but I just do not know.
Can I ,with a different bell housing, use my excisting C4 box?
What torque converter should I get.
I have got an FMX with all the cooling gear as well, but if I can use the C4, I would prefer this.
and does a XC auto V8 radiator fit without problems?
I have got a V8 XC C4 crossmember as well, does this fit underneath?
And does a Rochester carby work well on the 351 Cleveland?
I am trying to get all the bits before pulling the donk and swap it.
If you have any other things I should be aware of in the conversion,please let me know as I have not done this before.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did the same swap with my XB coupe. Not sure about the C4 as I used an FMX out of the donor ZH. Actually we used just about everything out of the ZH, engine, box, diff, etc. A donor car is a lot more handy as all the parts you need are there.

XC radiator fits though fitting the bottom XC radiator brackets is tricky but not impossible. You can either weld them on or do what we did. Weld some wire to a bolt and feed it through from the back.

Crossmember will fit.

I've seen Rochester carbs fitted to clevos and I've not heard of any problems.

Other things you may need.

V8 front sway bar.
V8 front springs.
Fuel line in engine bay, as the 6cyl line comes from behind the shock tower. V8 comes from in front and below the shock tower on a V8.

If using an FMX make sure you have an FMX yoke.

If you are going to run a twin system you will need another rear exhaust hanger for the passengers side.

I've probably forgotten some things. Been 14 years since we did the swap.

·
Registered
326 Posts
XC V8 radiator will be too big for the opening.Six cylinder cars had a smaller radiator opening in the support panel so you will need to enlarge the hole or change the radiator support panel for a V8 one to get the cooling required.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I got told the same thing. I still haven't enlarged my radiator opening, been that way for 14 years and the car still runs cool. Might be an issue with a highly worked motor but doesn't seem to be an issue with mine. I will get to it one day, should only take a few minutes with an air chisel.

·
The Big Yellow Cruizer
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone told me to get a radiator out of a V8 EF as it has twin fans on it.
Also regarding a FMX box, does the speedo still work been told that it turns the wrong way and so need a new dash.
This converting is a right pain in the arse I tell ya. :beerbottl

·
Registered
112 Posts
As long as you run a factory radiator shroud, decent fan, a good thermostat and an overflow bottle and proper radiator cap you should not have any problems. The xc set up works well.

You won't have to change the dash. All dashes are the same. You may have to change the speedo cable that goes into the back of the dash if it doesn't suit the FMX.

·
Registered
180 Posts
For the radiator you will just have to cut the opening larger. Just copy one at the wreckers ( if any left!) or just th the start of the radiator tanks.

·
Registered
661 Posts
you,ll need a pair of engine mount brackets as well,the ones that bolt to the crossmember. V8 and six are different .Get a pair of XA -XE as these are the same.xr to xy different.
The six cylinder C4 does have a different bellhousing and also prolly fewer clutches than a v8 version. I would try to locate a good secondhand v8 c4 and perhaps fit a shift kit to improve shift quality. If you wanted just the bellhousing I may be able to help you out .I,m sure I have one and i,m in perth as well.
on some sixes the alternator has different mounts so you may need a dedicated v8 one depending on application.
As far as thermoquads are concerned they are ok but my personal preference for 351,s are 600 vac sec holleys. I recently replaced a thermoquad on a clevo to a 600 vs for another forum member and the results were amazing.
good luck
ps .i,ve done this before so pm if you need details.
russ

·
The Big Yellow Cruizer
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the conversion is complete and your tips have proven to be very helpfull indeed.
It was not cheap, but very satisfying to hear the rumble.
Did get the XF twin thermo fans and they are a lifesaver!
The engine has done 150kms so far and is starting to run nice and crisp.
I will be at the Ford day here in Perth this weekend.
Starts with a display/gathering at The readings cinema at Belmont forum in the morning.
My first run was last week (without twin fans) to Yanchep with the Good Fellows organised run, it did get hot due to standing still and not enough airflow through the radiator.
V8's rule and I am glad I have done it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good to hear it is a goer! Happy driving and remember to keep all the parts you find along the way. There not getting any younger!

·
The Big Yellow Cruizer
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BAWITHLOT said:
Good to hear it is a goer! Happy driving and remember to keep all the parts you find along the way. There not getting any younger!
Yes I have a fair bit of parts left over, but alas the 351 is rumbling:hy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts