Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, to anyone who's upgraded their standard in-dash single cd a few questions. what happens to the steering wheel controls? don't use them much now but would like to retain them if possible. also what happens with the self retracting antenna? the kenwood unit i'll be installing has a remote control & an antenna wire finally how does it look? i don't want it to look to out of place i'm a fussy bastard i know. thanks jimbo

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Steering wheel controls wont work....
The aerial will work just splice remote lead from unit into aerial lead in loom, cant remember color, but can get it if your not sure.
I got a pocket that goes under the headunit, cost about $10 from Ford. Comes from a Forte and is quite handy for loose change, mobile etc.....
I have a pic of mine......send me an email at
[email protected] and i will send it to you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the most unfortunate thing about installing a single din aftermarket stereo to your AU, is the bloody curve in the dash will leave an unsightly gap beneath the unit, where the tray is!!! I have a Pioneer CD in my AU, and like you i am a pretty fussy bastard too, I just wish I could do something about it, it looks bloody terrible, but sounds great! :)

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Get the pocket that goes under single din slot.....comes from the Forte series, cost about ten dollars and looks great.....let me know if you want a pic of mine...

·
Registered
372 Posts
my car is an AU Forte, and it has the pocket in it, but the bloody pocket is curved too :(, I just gotta live with the gap unfortunately, but you can show the pic of your dash if ya want

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
hi, to anyone who's upgraded their standard in-dash single cd a few questions. what happens to the steering wheel controls?
If you are lucky enough that your head unit is a new model JVC or Alpine deck that has a remote control port, you can apparently use your car's steering wheel controls.

This is what I've been told by Eurotech Car Toysin S.A. (http://www.eurotech.com.au )

I sent them an email and found that they sell cable/adaptor for $49 that makes it possible.

The only shame is that they don't support any other decks (like Kenwood or Pioneer), but I'm told that adaptors for these units may exist as well??
Has anyone got info on this?

XLR8: I'd be very interested to see your install (as I'm thinking of replacing my deck).

[email protected]

Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Guys
i really dont understand some of you guys why would you go and replace the original steroeo head unti the qualatly of the radio / stereo is pretty damn good in actuall fact i think its the same people who make alpine so there pretty good and your not going to get any better sound out of the original speakers with another head unit youll have to change everything to get the right effect

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Guys
i really dont understand some of you guys why would you go and replace the original steroeo head unti the qualatly of the radio / stereo is pretty damn good in actuall fact i think its the same people who make alpine so there pretty good and your not going to get any better sound out of the original speakers with another head unit youll have to change everything to get the right effect

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to johmans, i don't just plan on changing head units and expect better sound. i'm putting in the stereo out of my old car with kenwood mask head unit, clarion ten band eq, 3 amps and 2 by ten inch subs beleive me no standard sound system even comes close to the thump this baby puts out!!

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
johnmans, I totally agree with you that the sound system in the AU's is very good (and I only have the one in the forte!). The reason I'm changing is to get a deck that plays mp3 and has dedicated RCA's.

jimmantgaris, all I can say is: $#@! nice :)

·
VENOM-AU2-XR8
290 Posts
au2_xpack said:
If you are lucky enough that your head unit is a new model JVC or Alpine deck that has a remote control port, you can apparently use your car's steering wheel controls.

This is what I've been told by Eurotech Car Toysin S.A. (http://www.eurotech.com.au )

I sent them an email and found that they sell cable/adaptor for $49 that makes it possible.

The only shame is that they don't support any other decks (like Kenwood or Pioneer), but I'm told that adaptors for these units may exist as well??
Has anyone got info on this?

XLR8: I'd be very interested to see your install (as I'm thinking of replacing my deck).

[email protected]

Cheers
Hrm. all those questions i been asking in the other thread basically want me to make an 'interface' like you just mentioned. as i've seen them for like $120 (from us).. but if they reacon $50, i may be interested...

I actually have a Alpine CDA-7894RB .. and it doesnt seem to have that remote control port oyur talkin about ..

·
VENOM-AU2-XR8
290 Posts
umm, actually, i just took the head unit out of my other car..

there's this little headphone type jack on th eback, which is labeled REM IN ... how come there's nothing in the manual regarding this ?

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
Talk about bringing back an old thread :D 8th July 2001 !! Anyways best bet is to send them a mail and ask if they still make that product and if it will work for your H/U & car. I know that when I ended up getting my JVC, they said they no longer carried the cable for JVC units...

One other thing, you're now asking the same/similar stereo questions in 3 separate threads. This one, and 2 others:

-->The Garage - Interior/Audio: AU II 6 CD Indash cd player

-->XR Club of Victoria > XR Club Workshop > XR8 AUII Head unit

Could you try and keep all the discussions in just one of them pls :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts