Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Taurus, not sure what type engine. No matter what type or grade gasoline I put in the car it pings and knocks terribly. The manual recommends 87 Octane, but I generally use 93 as it seems to ping and knock a little less.

Is there anything I can add to the gas tank to stop this irritating noise?

Also, both my electric side mirrors will move out but will not move inward. Not a huge deal but definitely a pain in the arse to maneuver.

Thanks

·
1,836 Posts
For your side view mirrors it is more than likely the mirror switch from the way you describe your concern. For your spark knock problem its likely you have carbon build-up in the cylinders of your engine. (On top of the piston and on the cylinder heads around the valves and the spark plug tip.) At my Dodge dealer we use something called Terra-Clean. It a machine that injects fuel injector and combustion chamber cleaners into the fuel rail in place of the gas which is disabled by removing the fuel pump relay in the Power Distribution Box. (The fuse box under the hood by the battery.) The engine runs off of each cleaner at 1800 rpm until each runs out and the engine dies. It actually works good at cleaning out the carbon. The only times it has not worked is when carbon has built up on the intake valves and caused a misfire. This ussually results in the valve being burned on its seat or sealing surface. Carbon can build up because of allot of short trip driving and also from not doing some highway driving every so often. There are other good professional combustion cleaners that work good. Try to avoid the typesw that you get off a store shelf. Allot of them don't work well. By the way, if you have badges on your front fenders that say "24V DOHC" then you have a 3.0L Duratec V6 engine. If not, you have a 3.0L Vulcan V6 engine. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbird100636 said:
For your side view mirrors it is more than likely the mirror switch from the way you describe your concern. For your spark knock problem its likely you have carbon build-up in the cylinders of your engine. (On top of the piston and on the cylinder heads around the valves and the spark plug tip.) At my Dodge dealer we use something called Terra-Clean. It a machine that injects fuel injector and combustion chamber cleaners into the fuel rail in place of the gas which is disabled by removing the fuel pump relay in the Power Distribution Box. (The fuse box under the hood by the battery.) The engine runs off of each cleaner at 1800 rpm until each runs out and the engine dies. It actually works good at cleaning out the carbon. The only times it has not worked is when carbon has built up on the intake valves and caused a misfire. This ussually results in the valve being burned on its seat or sealing surface. Carbon can build up because of allot of short trip driving and also from not doing some highway driving every so often. There are other good professional combustion cleaners that work good. Try to avoid the typesw that you get off a store shelf. Allot of them don't work well. By the way, if you have badges on your front fenders that say "24V DOHC" then you have a 3.0L Duratec V6 engine. If not, you have a 3.0L Vulcan V6 engine. Good Luck!!!
Wow.. Will you marry me??!! Too bad you are in Mass cause I really could use someone like you here in Austin!! My current "friend" tells me.. "take it to a shop" any time I have questions such as these.

I will try what you have suggested and will check to determine what engine have. (I should probably already know this :-0 )

Is one of the engines you listed more reliable than the other?

·
1,836 Posts
Anything to help another Ford owner. As far as reliability, Both engines are very reliable. The 3.0L Vulcan has been around since 1986, and had a few problems for the first few years or so. The 3.0L Duratec, which I have in my 2001 Taurus SEL, in my Mother's 1999 Sable LS, and my Uncle's 1999 Sable LS, have been around since 1996. The first couple years had some problems but your year is not plagued with these problems. It is too bad I'm in Mass, but allot of my free time is eaten up these days with family matters. Once again, Good Luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts