Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new here, I just bought a black 93 probe GT. Today is the second day I have it and the check engine light came on. Should I be concerned? Is the car going to die on me? Would it be the oxygen sensor problem? Thansk for your advice!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, and stepping on the brake for 10 seconds or so. i did this with my probe and the CE light has not come back since. i dont know what caused it in the first place, maybe a mis-calibrated sensor or something, i dunno but never hurts to try it.

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
probe_se said:
try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, and stepping on the brake for 10 seconds or so. i did this with my probe and the CE light has not come back since. i dont know what caused it in the first place, maybe a mis-calibrated sensor or something, i dunno but never hurts to try it.
:whoaa:
Huh?
Never heard that one....

Everyone pretty much ends up w/ the check engine light on at one point or so in time.... Sometimes it does end up being a bad O2 sensor, but it could be something else. You can try pulling the code on it and see.

G

·
Hey, it's probably nothing major, so I would'nt worry about it to much. I'd definitley have someone pull the codes but your car isnt going to die or blow up. I've had my 95 PGT for about 6 months and the day I drove it off the lot, the check engine light came on. Ive been told that this is a common problem with these cars. I'ts probaby your O2 sensor or maybe an ECU. Get it checked out whenever you can but don't beat yourself up over it!!! :bcool:

·
SOPOC President
105 Posts
probeGTgirlie said:
Hey, it's probably nothing major, so I would'nt worry about it to much. I'd definitley have someone pull the codes but your car isnt going to die or blow up. I've had my 95 PGT for about 6 months and the day I drove it off the lot, the check engine light came on. Ive been told that this is a common problem with these cars. I'ts probaby your O2 sensor or maybe an ECU. Get it checked out whenever you can but don't beat yourself up over it!!! :bcool:
First off, pulling the codes on a 93 is easy. All you need is a paperclip or piece of wire.

Look at this site for details:

http://home.golden.net/~trinity/

and click on MALF CODES in the menu.

Second, the ECU is the Engine Control Unit, the brain of the car if you will. The ECU isn't bad because the car actually runs. If the ECU was bad, there would be a helluva lot more problems than an intermittent CEL.

Pull the codes. If it happens to be the O2 sensors, get some new ones here:

http://www.buyoxygensensors.com

Cheapest place around for OEM sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. I pulled the code from it and it is one of the oxy sensors that are failing.

What I need to know is if I would be able to change the sensor myself or do I have to go to a shop and have them do it? Is it difficult at all?

Thanks again for all your advice!

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Have an exhaust shop do them. Just bring in your own parts and have them go through the labor. It should take them about 15 min with all the right air tools otherwise it'll be you sweat, swearing and tears... I paid 20 buck to have them put on.:s5

·
Crazed Wodka Drinker
67 Posts
Try running some Chevron injector cleaner thru a gas tank. Sometimes this cleans off the crap on the sensor and stops it from giving you the CEL.

·
"Sweet Pea"
172 Posts
mini said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I pulled the code from it and it is one of the oxy sensors that are failing.

What I need to know is if I would be able to change the sensor myself or do I have to go to a shop and have them do it? Is it difficult at all?

Thanks again for all your advice!
Depends on which one it is???

·
SOPOC President
105 Posts
Canging O2 sensors is VERY easy. Don't pay someone to do it, that is a waste of cash.

First, go here and buy them:

http://www.buyoxygensensors.com

Cheapest place around for OEM sensors.

Next, get yourself an O2 sensor socket from your local parts store. Somewhere around 10 bucks. Or, you can use a crescent wrench.

The front one can be changed from the top. It is RIGHT in the front of the car on the exhaust manifold. The rear one is in a pretty cramped space on the rear manifold. But, with patience and time you can get it no problems.

Save yourself the money. Do it yourself.

G

·
One thing to keep in mind-
sometimes the component that indicates the fault is not the problem. It may be correctly measuring an exhaust O2 level which is out of tolerance (from a too rich or too lean combustion mixture, for example). In this case, throwing a new sensor in will not correct the CEL (for long).
HTH,
Bill

G

·
I had the check engine light problem just before the 36,000 mile warranty. Ford fixed it. Then just after the 12,000 mile parts warranty, it started again. Ford wanted WAY too much to fix it, so I left it go for 50-60,000 miles. When the light would come on, I would wait a few seconds, then push in the clutch & let the RPMs drop to idle. Usually the check engine light would then go off. I replaced both O2 sensors myself. It really wasn't hard. The only special tool I needed was a deep socket that has a notch cut in it for the cable. It wasn't expensive. It is kind of a challenge to reach the sensors (I think I needed some extensions for the wratchet). Since then (80,000+ more miles) and I think the check engine light has only came on once.

The key is finding the right part. I couldn't find any aftermarket sensors (this was '96 or '97), so I bought the motorcraft ones from a parts warehouse. They supply the dealers with their parts. If you buy it from the warehouse, you eliminate the markup. I ended up putting both of them on for just a few dollars more than it would have cost me to have Ford put one on.

Good luck, and if you need any more help on it, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts