Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I've been investigating ECU mods for a fair while now and as far as I knew there were 2 options.
1) Tweecer $800-$1200
2) EEC-Tuner $379 basically allows the same thing but doesn't have a realtime option

Now I found another cheaper option

Here is the link

$60US for the unit.
Basically you get your american ECU.
Wire up the injectors in SMPFI and install the MAF

Grab the flash chip out of the unit (need to buy a chip flashing unit about $80 from dick smiths)

edit the dump of the ECU to make the changes you want (ie change injector sizes, fuel maps, anything you can change with the other 2 units)
burn the mods to the chip.
Install the chip back in the unit.
Changes made boost away for about $150AUS

Once I've actully got mine setup I'll make a modified Bin file for the basic changes required for a 6.
How good is that!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thats real good could you pm or email me some more information.

6pAc

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
How are you going to trust a modified binary? Is the chip in a holder or do you need to de-solder and resolder it? I'd be optimistic depending on the reliability of your info but would be prepared for complete ECU failure. Additionally I'd be aware of the consequences of executing erroneous engine management software.... permanent engine damage???

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The binary files for most ecu's are readliy avalible on the net.
The chip is easily removed and if you don't want to buy a chip flasher you can email your binary and the company will up load it for you and then you can change it later if the need arrises.
It's a J3 adapter so all it does is override the interal rom chip on the ecu with what ever you put in instead.
If you look in to it more and play with the software you see that you can change values at any point meaning you change anything on the computer but if you stuff it up just unplug it. The worst thing that could happen is it your programming changes wouldn't work and you'd have to turn off the car.

My idea is to simply get the A9l ECU I have and make the suggested changes xr9ute made when fitting a tweecer to an EBII Falcon.

Provided you don't go and just wildly stuff with things you'd be fine.

So basically your not starting from scratch you'd be starting from the standard Ford managment and tweeking it to suit your needs from there (ie changing injector sizes, installing a larger maf, converting to maf and installing SMPFI)

6pAc|30nG|00n ask your questions here dude it's better if everyone interested can read it.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess the easiest way to describe this thing is as a chiptorque or unichip but specificly designed to use the Ford EEC-IV engineering port rather than stuffing with the wiring loom. But unlike the other chips this can be programed with anything you like at any time with software freely avalible off the internet.

Not something for the uninitiated but if you love electronics and programming like me could be a very cheap solution.

Also if installing something like this a wideband HEGO (o2) sensor might be a good idea as well so you can see the effects of changing fuel maps instantly.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
If the binary is documented in some reliable way then I'd say that you'd be able to experiment to your hearts content! Is there a compatible engineering port on EEC-V?

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes there is but because the EEC-V has differant memory locations.
The binary is documented in great detail from quite a few locations for the mustang ECU's.
I'll get mine setup then attempt to crack the aussie EEC-IV ecu's then move on to EEC-V

For now it's a case of get this chip thing plus an A3m/A9l ECU from a mustang and a MAF and then play away but if I can work it out you may be able to chip and modify the EEC-IV standard Falcon ECU's for less than $300

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
sounds bloody fantastic. I just hope it doesnt take long for development work lik this to be implemented on the ECCV system.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well you can help if you want.
What I need is a copy of some australian ECU's to work through it all.
If anyone's been able to get them I'd love a copy.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Here's a question... can we get a hold of the mappings etc that unichip etc use for their piggybacks :hehe2: Presumably they're not going to be too forward with this information but it would be lovely to imitate a system that already makes improvements on fairly stock systems.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actully thats not a stupid idea I have a mate that works for Chiptourqe as one of there engineers I will call him up but I doubt he would help.
I'd imagine law suits and other such fun would be thrown around if any of their info was found to be used (and could be proven)
This will be an open source project.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
carazy said:
actully thats not a stupid idea I have a mate that works for Chiptourqe as one of there engineers I will call him up but I doubt he would help.
I'd imagine law suits and other such fun would be thrown around if any of their info was found to be used (and could be proven)
This will be an open source project.
Nevertheless he may be able to assist by steering us in the right direction. He need not just "hand over the code". What invaluable help he could be! This is starting to sound really good!

·
3,287 Posts
Ive got 2 EL EECV ECU's and an EA CFI 4speed EEC4 ECU here so i would be more than willing to help out trying to get dump codes from the ECU's and help the implementation of this into EECV realm.

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
IMO I would never risk my car for $150 - :doh:

·
3,287 Posts
Using Tweecer or equivelent (this cheaper $60USD mod) may infact be safer than trying to implement a standalone EFI system due to less wiring and the fact that most (Especialy the ford ecu's) factory ecu's are allot more powerfull than aftermarket versions. Whats the worst that could happen with this.

1) advanced timing + lean out, easly noticed and shut engine down
2) fry ECU (VERY unlikely)

Im very intrested in this as it is far cheaper than any aftermarket ecu or even TWEECER. Hopefully we can get it working on AUS EECIV and EECV sysetms.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm Walky I'll have to come see you when I make my EECSUCkA

Click here for a link with some diagrams

That's where you can get the specs on how to make the unit that will dump the bin files from a ECU.
I need to do this to get anywhere because while most of the american EEC-V's are in progress no one (except maybe Pete Xr9ute) are trying anything with the AU versions.

I've been trying to get in contact with the inventor so I can buy the PCB (hand soldering looks messy!)

Once this is done though I'd love to rip the data from your ECU's.

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
If need be, you can borrow the V8 EEC-V from my car, this sounds like a very interesting idea.

How would you modify the BIN files? Would you need to make a program to run on your computer??

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I've looked it to it a bit more and made some calls to america (thanks to my free work phone ;-)
At this stage of dev with EEC-V engines it would be far easier to install a MAP controlled american ECU that has already been decoded and then make some basic changes (such as engine size, injector size, firing order, manifold volume, amount of injectors) and run the american ECU.

Problems with this idea: The american Gearbox controls may not be able to control aussie Autos so intial dev would be manual only till I can reverse engineer the auto controls for aussie gearboxes.

So provided I can get some more info on EEC-V ecu's it would be about $100AU for the american EEC-V ECU from US.
$70US for the J3 adapter (including postage)
Then your own time to program it (most usefull software is free on the net)
another thing required would be a EProm burner avalible from dicksmith that connects to a com port to program the chip.

You'd have to check with your local car tuning place to see if they have a Eeprom burner and if they do you could simply hand them the software and your chip and get them to program it for you.
Still much much cheaper then chiptourque or equivilent and as customisable as a full after market ECU.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah aaron if you buy yourself a Eeprom burner you can make changes to your maps with software very easily (understanding the changes is a little more difficult though!)
Then you just plug the chip back in and away you go.

not as easy as on the fly tuning but much much cheaper!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts