Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Ford Five Hundred and recently had a misfire, so I changed the plugs and coil boots. I also cleaned the throttle body since I had to take off the intake manifold anyway. Misfire is gone and runs smooth but now wont shift into higher gears and RPM's way too high for lower speeds. "Check transmission" indicator is now on and the wrench light is on. Transmission fluid is fine at both cold and hot temps. I don't believe in coincidences such as my transmission is NOW ALL THE SUDDEN going out 5 minutes after the other repair. After reading the manual, the wrench light pertains to both the throttle AND the transmission. Am I correct to assume if the throttle body is still malfunctioning the CVT transmission will also malfunction since it senses what to do based on the performance of the throttle?

One other thing, like a bonehead, I broke the clip for the 6-pin connector to the throttle body while removing it. It still has a snug connection but not sure if it moves when the car is on causing a problem. Could this be the culprit or does anyone know what the problem here is? Cleaning the throttle body might not have been good enough and I'll replace it if I have to, but the transmission check indicator nor the wrench light never came on before when the car was misfiring and I could also go at higher speeds...just rough. And the transmission also shifted just fine before.

Could it be the broken clip to the throttle body or do I need a new throttle body? If so, will this solve the transmission issue? Is it a matter of resetting the PCM? Any help appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
You could use a wire tie to hold the connecter to make sure it stays tight, Did you use a new intake gasket? I'd make sure all the vacuum lines are connected properly. What is the code or codes you're getting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://www.fordforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49808&thumb=1

Thanks for your reply. I will try the wire tomorrow. I checked all lines I disconnected including the vacuum lines. The large O-ring where the EGR slides up into the intake seems to be doubled over or kinked...hard to see. I had to take manifold off this way because the large nut around EGR tube would not come off, I think 26mm. Or are you talking about a gasket where the Throttle Body meets the intake? I didn't notice a seal there, unless it disintegrated. I haven't assessed for new codes yet. Could this still be the culprit for the transmission issue?

There is one exception to all lines being accounted for. The attached photo is a rubber hose coming out of the transmission housing, just in front of the Transmission Control Module. It has a white plastic end with a rotating tip...like a sensor. It obviously belongs somewhere as it has a clamp/clip on it, but I cant determine where it goes. Hopefully you can see the photo since the site reduced the file quality by a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, The hose I was referring to in the picture is just resting on the white cable for photo purposes. Otherwise it was just dangling, hanging unattached, just to the side of the transmission dipstick. Just like to know what it is and where it goes. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,446 Posts
Doesn't connect to the throttle body / air intake or in that area ? Cant find a schematic but this video at the begining shows a good view of all hoses in that area . Might give you a help , might not . Also pic of Freestyle hoses near throtle body might give you a step for a hint . ( step #6 picture on right , click to enlarge ) Best I can do at the moment .

AND

OurFordFreestyle: Throttle Body Maitenance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.