Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet the new cut-price Jaguar that's set to turn the car world upside down. Costing under £20,000 – that's flagship Mondeo money – this 2.0-litre X-Type also marks a turning point in the company's history.
It's the first Jaguar to use front-wheel drive, and this development has been an issue of great debate inside the company. Although news of the project was revealed by Auto Express in Issue 663, company executives would not admit to its existence, fearing that a front-wheel-drive machine would compromise Jaguar's luxury image. As a result, the firm has gone to great lengths to ensure the car complements its comparatively low price tag with refinement and an extensive equipment list. There's little difference visually between the existing AWD models and the newcomer. The eagle-eyed might notice that it has a revised exhaust layout, and that our main picture shows different alloys, but internally they are the same.

The 2.0-litre engine is a smooth V6, rather than a four-cylinder. With 157bhp on tap, it can propel the car from 0-60mph in only 8.9 seconds. Top speed is 130mph. The new machine is set to go on sale in March next year, and prices start at £19,995 for the V6, with the V6 Sport model £22,245. The flagship V6 SE sells for £22,995

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the first road test/comparision of the X type on Australian roads it didn't do as well as Jag would have hoped. Disappointing really but it was upagainst cars like the new Integra

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
I assume that comment is directed to the result of the decision and not the fact they have to make one (decision)
I mean I hope they don't go to FWD for the Falcon... Just not right I reckon.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This piece of news also made the Friday drive issue in the Sun.

Made special mention of Jag having to fit traction contro as standard to make up for the lack of all wheel drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts