Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah just pull the wheels off today to do some work on the car, and noticed that one of the lock nuts for the wheel has the chrome peeling off it, and corrosion is starting to build on them. must say i'm not to happy about it as i though they should be of better quality than that, especially for XR alloy wheel.

My wheels are the 15inch x 7, of the EF XR6/8.

Just curious whether anyone has encountereed this problem.
I'm wondering maybe i got jibbed on the lock nuts. If i didn't get jibbed then is there an aftermarket genuine high quality lock nut that i can get to replace these dodgy ones.

:confused: :confused:

G

·
0 Posts
Wheel nuts aren't the best in chrome finishes even if you bought a good brand you may have the same problem.
Unless the manufacturer offers a guarantee it's usually the luck of the draw.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, must admit i'm not going to stress about it, but just abit annoying. Well looks like the damage is done by those rattle guns at the service places :( :( . But i guess if it gets too annoying i'll ge another one from ford.

Be good if there was ones that didn't peel off.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Yeah, must admit i'm not going to stress about it, but just abit annoying. Well looks like the damage is done by those rattle guns at the service places :( :( . But i guess if it gets too annoying i'll ge another one from ford.

Be good if there was ones that didn't peel off.
When I had the tyres changed onto the series 2 rims I had to stand over the guys and make them use the hand wrench.
We now have a very good understanding about rattle guns!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems that every service place uses the rattle gun, i always worry that the mechanic dude will get pissedoff if i tell him not to use it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Seems that every service place uses the rattle gun, i always worry that the mechanic dude will get pissedoff if i tell him not to use it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
There is always the risk of that happening. That is why I generally stay with the car and watch them. I have only had one guy tell me to mind my own business, and he quickly found out how much of working on my car was my business:eek:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats a good way do it, i always watch them do my car as well. I guess if i was laminges size i'd tell what to do. LOL :p

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Down here if you don't want them to use the rattle gun they won't, but they have a wheelbrace with the longest ****ing bar you have ever seen, so they might not damage wheel nuts with it but hell it's near impossible to loosten the wheelnuts if you want to take the wheels off again with the wheelbrace supplied with the car :fmad:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
geeez, thats no good, i know a person at work who got his whell on a magna soooo tight they had to cut the studs to get the wheels off, thats insane :CraZ: :CraZ:

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
The only way you can be totally sure of your wheel nuts not being destroyed is to do what we do. If the wheels are *really* good ones and the tyres are to be changed, we take them off at home and take the rims in to a trusted tyre company employee, then stand with them while they change the tyres by hand (none of those machines on these ones). If one of our cars which has mags on it needs to go in for servicing or repairs we remove the good wheel nuts and replace them with old ones we have lying around. We also always stay with any of our cars while the work is done if we think some damage may be done while the work is carried out.

I guess what I am suggesting is that until you can find a place you can absolutely trust to service and repair your car, take precautions... take the lock nuts off before you go. They should never be removed with a rattle gun anyway.

:cool:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Hey Discovery

Took the good lock nuts off but the wheels just feel off when I drove out the driveway!!!

:nuts: :cool: :nuts: :cool: :nuts: :cool: :nuts:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discovery said:

I guess what I am suggesting is that until you can find a place you can absolutely trust to service and repair your car, take precautions... take the lock nuts off before you go. They should never be removed with a rattle gun anyway.

I don't think there is such a thing as a place that can be absolutely trusted. The poor guys are trying to get the job done as quickly as possible as the old time is money tells em to. Even the very best have their bad days. As Discovery said if you want the best, do as much as you can yourself!

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
XLR8 said:
What happens when you use the rattle gun????
The rattle gun will destroy your lock nuts (and your mag wheel nuts) the rattle effect and pressure put on the nuts will chip the chrome, round off the edges, and in the case of lock nuts will damage the pattern making it almost impossible to get them on and off.

We only take our cars to people we know who share our respect of our cars.

Laminge, if I had your car I would definately be as careful as you obviously are.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The pressure applied to wheel nuts should never be greater then what you can apply yourself, with in reason. Your car would have come with a spanner that fits the nuts on the wheels and it will be only so long. Using the supplied tool the nuts should be done up until you can't move the nut. Using this method should ensure that the nuts can be undone with the tools you carry in the car. Even if the rattle gun does not damage the threads or nuts the chances are that you may not be able to undo them when you want!

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
This is why I refuse to ever visit another Goodyear tyre centre. Those bastards managed to strip threads on one set of studs using dodgy wheel nuts (which weren't the ones on the car when I gave it to them) and a rattle gun to force them on. They weren't very apolagetic about it either. No lock nuts involved, but an example of how careless some are with wheels/nuts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts