Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

All going well (ie awaiting finance approval), my brother will be driving away in a Jan 2004 plated Auto XR6 Turbo on Wednesday. He has traded up his 220 Au2 Xr8 Manual with leather, premium sound, momo gear knob and steering wheel for this turbo which will have the 18's, premium sound and citric acid inserts, oh yeah, the exterior colour is the same. It will also be getting scuff plates, bonnet protector, and mud spats (a must have).

Personally, I think this new car is slower than his manual xr8, but it's hard to tell.

One quick question, will his K&N filter from the AU fit straight into the new car?

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
BA's use a different filter and I doubt if AU type filter or anything that fit's in AU will fit. I am sure K&N and BMC make a filter specifically for the BA's.

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Cobra, good way of keeping K&N in business i guess.

What's everyones opinion of the Turbo's possibly getting quicker as they are run in?

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
100% said:
FordACE said:
Personally, I think this new car is slower than his manual xr8, but it's hard to tell.

Not a chance!
You could be right, maybe it's just the sound of his Xr8 that makes it sound faster. But I honestly think his 220 goes like a bat out of hell, and if you look at the power to weight ratio the 220 has a better power to weight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any idea what the trade figure your brother got on the AU 11?

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Falcon Awesome said:
Any idea what the trade figure your brother got on the AU 11?
$30000. That is the highest value according to redbook, so I think it was okay. What is others opinions?

Edit: He bought it as a demonstrator and paid $42000. So he lost $12000 in just under 2 years.

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:edit: Finance was approved today, and the pickup is set for Friday. Could have been earlier, but Brisbane Car sounds are removing the car alarm from the AU on Friday Morning.

Hope all goes well with this car.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
The filter in the BA is just totally different, its like fatter but about the same dimensions otherwise.

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XTS220 said:
The filter in the BA is just totally different, its like fatter but about the same dimensions otherwise.
So it breathes better I guess. :wnc:

Time is going slow waiting for Friday to come.

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car has been picked up. when we got home, we noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust, it smells like burning plastic. My brother had to go to work, so he is hoping it is just something melting in the exhaust and should stop. Do you think it could be anything else?

Apart from that the car seems perfect. The electric drivers seat is pretty nifty, and the premium sound looks good and goes well.

When we got home we noticed a few chips on the paint, one on the spoiler and one on the inside door, somehow we missed them on inspection at the dealer.

It had 27kms on the car when we got it, is that normal these days. P.S, the AU was bought as a demo, so we don't remember what the norm is from his EL Ghia.

Oh and another thing, it doesn't sound like a v8. LOL.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Hi FordACE,

The smoke and burning smell is noramlly just the factory exhaust coating burning off. This should clear up in a few days depending on how many km you do. Get your dealer to fix the scratches, it should be no problem. Last of all, no its does not sound like a V8, but it sure will go like one when run in..maybe even better. The six does have a reasonable exhaust note to IMO.

Cheers,
Colville

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply mate. That smoke is actually quite embarassing, hmmmm. Couldn't they pre-burn the coating before we drive off into the public eye? Smoke was pouring out of it.

We will contact the dealer ASAP about the scratches, but my bro doesn't even have time with work and all.

I await his arrival home so we can go for lappies, if the tight a*se will take me. Hahaha.

P.S. Can't wait for it to run in

Paul

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
FordACE said:
You could be right, maybe it's just the sound of his Xr8 that makes it sound faster. But I honestly think his 220 goes like a bat out of hell, and if you look at the power to weight ratio the 220 has a better power to weight.
No it doesnt

AU XR8 220 7.54kg/kw (1660kg)
BA XR6 Turbo 7.22kg/kw (1730kg)

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Martin said:
No it doesnt

AU XR8 220 7.54kg/kw (1660kg)
BA XR6 Turbo 7.22kg/kw (1730kg)
I didn't think the AU weighed that much, and I had read somewhere else that the 220 did have a better power to weight ratio.

Thanks for the info either way, after being in it, it's starting to feel faster.

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all,

The Dealer will fix the paint chips as soon as my brother can get off work to get it done. So far the car is marvellous and seems to be getting better.

Is there a thread which lists the mods Turbo owners have done to their car?

If not, anyone interested in putting up what they have done and what difference it makes? Even simple things such as adding a high flow air filter.

thanks in advance

·
Go Nuts in Your Falcon
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another question,

how do I get production line photos? point me in the right direction please.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
FordACE said:
Another question,

how do I get production line photos? point me in the right direction please.

Go to: http://203.89.210.4/

You will need to enter either your VIN1 (Vehicle Identification Number) or your SIDO1 number. Photos will be sent to you in an email message.
Photos are available after your Dealer has reported the delivery of your vehicle to Ford. Photos will be kept by Ford for a period of 6 months from the vehicle build date.

Hope that helps..

1 - 20 of 81 Posts