Ford Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
mmm boss motor... why not have the best of both worlds?? how ever i personally dont like clevos much they are way to heavy and a 302 clevo is wrong they should never have bothered even making it. just a nice worked 351 windsor would do me fine.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Actually a 351 Cleveland is not much heavier than a 351 Windsor.
I do agree with you about the 302 Cleveland being a waste of time though.

Rick.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The 351 Windsor can be stroked to 427+ with extra $$$..And with bassically bolt on's..
While the Clevo you're relying on someones labour and tech skills with porting
assembling correct components..Btw thats with all engines...W is more plug and play to a point...Trouble is there isn't that many 351 W's ...

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Shame about that, they are an excellent motor I hear. But yes very rare and if you do find one in oz they want an arm, leg and ya crotch for it! :p

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
So the main difference on the Windsor is actually the physical size and mass. I always like a nice light motor, hate too much weight up front. But for Performance Reasons why didn't Ford US stick with the clevo? Or more importantly Why didn't Ford Aus import the 351 Windsor aswell as the 302?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Ford dropped the Cleveland like a hot potatoe because of the false and misleadind so called energy crisis back in 72.
Oz didn't bother importing the Windsor because we began manufacturing the Cleveland and there was no point as the Cleveland was a considerably better engine.

Rick.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
When was the last 351 Windsor made? Saleen used them up to 1999 or something, but were they engines that had been sitting around for a while? I don't know when they stopped building what but I just thought if they decided to import the 302 back in 91, couldn't they have imported the 351 Windsor then too. I also never knew they built clevos in aus. Did they cast the block here and everything? Kind of doesnt make it a clevo if it wasn't built in Cleveland Ohio eh? Where did they build it at the engine plant in Geelong? Should be called the GEELONG!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
351 Windsors have been made forever, I think they may still be made today for F series trucks, I'm not certain of this though.

Clevelands were built here from around 1973 to 1982. It was a Cleveland through and through, so I guess it wasn't appropriate to change the name.

Rick.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Around Nov 2000 they closed the plant down that was building Windsors....
Clevo's where in XW's so I'd say they where made late 60's...
Trucks have two valve 5.4 sohc's...

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Sorry, I meant Clevos were made from 73 to 82 in OZ. In the US they were made from 69 to 71.

Rick.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts