Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has/is using a gear reduction starter on their cleveland.

Are they a good thing? Where is the best place to source them from?

Extractor clearances?

Thanks

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My spacer is buggered. Is there anywhere you can get these?

Any idea what dollars it cost?

thanks for the info :)

·
Banned
555 Posts
there the same really but yeah the manual one has the extra spacer built into its body, they are good units,extractor clearances are better especially with the pacemakers also good if you have a high compression engine or an lpg engine with big cam and bad vacuum. You can get them from most speed shops but becareful retail price is prollie going to b really bad.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a spacer that is a ford part that is seperate from the starter.

It is cracked and a large piece has come out. I need a new one.

Have ordered the manual one. It will cost around $250.

How does this compare with other prices paid?

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I realise that. I ordered the manual starter anywho. Hope it all works good. Might have to heatwrap the extractors though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Racer said:
Yes, they are good. I got mine from Castle Auto Electrics

Auto and manual are different. Get an auto one with a manual spacer so that it is interchangeable should the neeed arise.
Racer

I bought one last month but broke a big chunk out of the mounting face when I bolted it up. Got my money back and went back to the old iron Ford clunker which is barely adequate. It was a "made in China" item I got from the Speedshop here, but they reckon everyone swears by them. Just made me swear at them!

Not sure if I had a lemon ie with a bad casting, or if the tin spacer between box and block might have been a bit tight/bent and this caused the breakage.

Paid $300 for it, and it seems the only alternative I've so far come across is an Accel gear reduction starter that is nearly $1000. Ouch

So can you remember the brand name of yours and also remember if the mounting face was as thick as the Ford original?

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
I brought a mini bosch high toque starter motor for $325 from GT Ford Performance. The old spacer needed a little filing out to fit. They also sell new spacers for $39. I run high compression and my motor and it would not start with the old reco factory starter, especially when hot. This new unit is unbelivable. Heaps more clearance around extractors. The best bit of money I ever spent on my fully rebuilt XC. :priest: I can also run more timing adv as It will now crank over and fire instantly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's not a gear reduction. The auto elec reckons they are one of the better units available. All I know is that it's brilliant. I running 22 deg static and high compression. With the old style starter I could only run 16 deg BTDC. Anymore and the thing wouldn't crank. What ever unit u buy, make sure u run ultra thick cable.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its on. a lot smaller, obviously a lot more powerful, not much more than a replacement, and

It sounds cool! :D

fingers crossed

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh I got a gear reduction.

Cost $220 inc GST.

Very good unit. far out it cranks it over fast!

only thing i gotta deal with now is my missus saying "the starter sounds like its off a toyota" grrr women! lol

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just placed my order today for one of Castle Electrics 2.3HP gear reduction units, $360, but it sounds like a beauty.

With the standard Bosch unit and this new motor combo I've had to turn off all electrics - incl fuel pump & stereo and make sure battery is fully charged just to get it started.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Fitted the new gear reduction starter from Castle Auto Electrics today, what a great unit, bloody tight fit though.

Sounds like a Pro-stock when it starts..!

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tight Fit? Mine was simple. Bloody small housings.

Are you happy with it though?

Yeah they do sound cool :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a brand new hi torque Wind/Clevo starter I want to sell for $300.
Any takers. Will send photo's. Will stick with the std Bosch as I am no longer buying the 2" Prim Pacemakers for my 4Vs.

Bought from Sydney and it has Oz Starters on the sticker.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
TTNOS8 said:
Tight Fit? Mine was simple. Bloody small housings.

Are you happy with it though?

Yeah they do sound cool :)
TTN

I got their 2.3HP unit, its actually bigger than the standard Bosch. As you know you can rotate Castles's housings in about 30 positions. The only position mine cleared extractors and steering box pitman arm was in one of them only, and it took me 4 attempts to get the right one and as luck would have it, that postion caused the top bolt to be fouled and very hard to reach. 30 minute job turned into 4 hours but all worth it.

Actually been switching my fuel pump off so I can hear more of the sound of that starter!!!

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
I got one 2 years back from American Autos I can't remember brand it is but it sounds sweet when you crank it over & starts alot easier then the old stocky one. I did have problems with heat soak from the extractors which took a fair bit of mucking around to get sorted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts