Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we got the motor running to day, and when we goto turn it off, by the key, it takes a second or 2 to turn off..... what could it be? anyone konw?

·
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motor was running perfect in the xb we took it out of, just overfuling, other thanthat, its perfect, put it in the xe, and its not shutting down, but will have a looik at that

·
Registered
227 Posts
Timing, idle to fast, fuel mixture to rich, must likely one of these. Happens all the time in my Mrs Mazda, the engine has done around 400,000km's its loose and likes to run on, older engines tend to do it more than new ones.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
thermocrap is meant to have a solenoid that shuts the carby off completely when you turn it off. ( this all assuming its a thermoquad of course ) so it will pay to check that.
If it's not, as has been said..timing. My XB used to diesel a bit with closed chamber 4vs and a Holley DP on it .. the hotter it was the longer it took to shut down.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
yeah, but sometimes the solenoids dont work, so people just wind the screw in to make them idle.
Sometimes the shafts wear, and they such air in from there, causing them to idle lean and run on,
Possibly a spacer / heat insulator may help also, alternatively it may also be a leaky manifold gasket too.
Also check the oil, if the fuel pump is leaking, it may be running on fuel vapour in the sump, maybe the vacuum advance is connected to the wrong vacuum port? there is a number of posibilities

What is the idle rpm? does it sound like its idling too fast?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
if I read correctly in another thread, the carby in question is a Holley that's running rich ... if it's too rich then that will do it. TIme for a tune

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Around 90% of the time it is too high idle.

But if it is not that, I'd be checking your timing, and your mixtures.

After that, your ignition and so on.

Is it auto or manual?

·
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Belive it or not, its the Thermo's

they are wired to stay on while the key is in the on position, and yeh....
all good now

·
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went and got a kit for it, now the car, no matter how hard we drive it, wont go over 1/4, or 1/2 with 1 thermo going..
goes better now, than when it was in the xb, or ute.... muffler, dejet the carby, and yeh... thats it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts